Parking

General Palm Springs area.

Parking

Postby bluerail » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:25 am

erikab wrote:Does anyone know if you can park in the dirt lot by the visitors center at the tram way? We are palnning on doing doing C2C early sunday morning and taking 2 cars. We would like to park one at the muesum and one by the tram way station or the visitors center.
Just PLEASE make sure you are prepared and don't need to call for a rescue. there are serious talks right now about closing skyline. I dont blame the agencies involved at all. There have been far too many people miss judging skyline in the hot weather.
bluerail

Postby guest » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:17 am

Hey Erikab,
As Bluerail mentioned, there's been way too many rescues this year, and it's F$%^KING HOT, OK, even at 12 midnight, 2am, 4am, your core temp will go up & up, you will drink tons, and it may not be enough.
Unless you have serious heat acclimation, can move at a fairly quick pace, and are able to carry the weight, and are a trained, endurance athlete, just wait till fall.

Every time another person or group gets rescued,(there's been 2-3 just in the last few weeks), it threatens the entire hiking / climbing community with a possible closure, and it's being considered seriously again.

Resources are already tight for SAR's groups & public agencies, and they won't be able to continue paying for these rescues that, for the most part, can be avoided, (especially this time of year).

You may do fine, and can come back and post how great it was here, which only makes it more tempting for others to undertake this climb in the heat of the summer.

Just want everyone to be safe, and enjoy a great time in the wilderness, without risking others safety, or requiring assistance from the limited resources, which are already spread thin.
ss

Postby climbant » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:15 am

bluerail wrote:just PLEASE make sure you are prepared and dont need to call for a rescue. there are serious talks right now about closing skyline. I dont blame the agencies involved at all. There have been far too many people miss judging skyline in the hot weather.

Unless you are very familiar with the trail and very prepared please don't risk the lives of the SAR folks. Wait for cooler weather.
climbant

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 am

Moderator's note:
A spammer added a post to this thread and in the process of deleting the spam, I somehow managed to delete several real posts. :oops: At least I got rid of the spam. :roll:

My apologies.

HJ

P.S. The rest of the responses (without spam) are available here.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby bluerail » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:58 am

maybe a thread title change?

something maybe to do with starting to charge a reasonable $2000 fee for a rescue ? nothing to cause someone not to call and therefore die, but something toget people to question what they are about to do and help defray cost of the people that have to take the time out of THEIR life and come and save YOUR ass. not to even get into them risking their lives as climb mentioned.
bluerail

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:45 am

I've always thought simply posting a sign at the bottom of the Skyline stating "WARNING: Do Not Attempt this Trail on Days Temperatures Exceed 92 Degrees. Extreme Heat Danger. " might scare away at least some of the clueless and ill-prepared.

And, like Bluerail, I also think adding a "Rescue-ees will be charged for the cost of their rescue," would help.
It''s been proven that instituting a "you pay for your rescue' policy does greatly decrease the number of rescues. It causes people to think more seriously about the risks they're running--not just the financial ones, either--in tackling a famously dangerous trail.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:04 pm

erikab wrote:Does anyone know if you can park in the dirt lot by the visitors center at the tram way? We are palnning on doing doing C2C early sunday morning and taking 2 cars. We would like to park one at the muesum and one by the tram way station or the visitors center.
Just a reminder that this thread is about parking (see quoted text, above). I think a warning is appropriate (why would anyone do C2C in late July if they really understood the heat danger?), but let's not discuss the topic of reducing the number of rescues and deaths on C2C as though the original poster were not monitoring the thread.

Again, I apologize for somehow screwing up the thread when I got rid of the spam post. :oops:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby bluerail » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:09 pm

ive parked at the visitors center often with no problem
bluerail

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:03 pm

Yes, parking at the visitor's center is not a problem.

It's the "returning alive to the visitor's center after attempting to hike Skyline in July" that's a problem. :wink:
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:20 pm

lol. Well put.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains