San Jacinto Peak via Deer Springs - Trip Report - 2013-08-24

General Palm Springs area.

San Jacinto Peak via Deer Springs - Trip Report - 2013-08-24

Postby Phantasie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 pm

I did the Deer Springs hike for the first time this past Saturday.
While I'm in reasonable shape, this was my first real hike > 2k feet.
The altitude made it rough; I hit the wall about a mile form the top, and that last push was very tough.

Here is the report - take a look!

http://candiegohiker.blogspot.com/
Phantasie

Postby greatshaitan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:09 am

Congratz on the summit! And on the great trip report!
greatshaitan

Postby OldnSlow » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:57 pm

Nice job and a great TR. And this from a fellow snake hater. I was up on Deer Springs just after it re-opened. Heard a rattler in the bushes warn me and slither off, a million or so lizards, and one non rattler stretched across the trail in the sun on my way down. Heart rate jumped more from those encounters than the hiking at altitude.

Time to go to New Zealand. NO snakes!
OldnSlow

Postby bluerail » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:02 pm

snakes are actually so cute.
bluerail

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Nice trip. That's a long day -- 20 miles with a lot of elevation gain.

One note: San Jacinto Peak is the 6th highest peak in Southern California, not the 2nd. See S. Calif. Peaks over 10,000'. But anything over 10,800' is a major peak in So Cal, and SJ is definitely in that category.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Phantasie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks for responses guys.

@OldnSlow I was in a local mountain yesterday (in the heat 90 deg heat of the day, so unlikely rattlesnake time), and I heard a distinct rattle right beside me and almost crapped. Turned out to be this big bug/fly like thing that just sounded like a rattler. My heart rate was easily 150+. I thanked the bird bug thing for the bonus calorie loss!

I really, really, want to see one, since I never have before (from Canada none around me). But at the same time, I have no need to see one :)

@Hiking Jim - Strange, Ive seen plenty of references on the internet saying its the second highest in SoCal. And the Internet is never wrong! Ill update the blog, thanks!
Phantasie

Postby Sally » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Congratulations on a job well done! I thoroughly enjoyed your TR.
Sally

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:24 am

Phantasie wrote:@Hiking Jim - Strange, Ive seen plenty of references on the internet saying its the second highest in SoCal. And the Internet is never wrong! Ill update the blog, thanks!
Yeah, it's all over the place. The "problem" is that most of the really high peaks are in the San Bernardinos, several of which are over 11,000'. San Jacinto is a big one at 10,834', but just not #2 overall.

Here is what is true:
Of the three high points of the three highest ranges in Southern California, San Jacinto Peak is the 2nd highest range high point. That is to say that of the high points of the San Bernardinos, San Jacintos, and San Gabriels, San Jacinto Peak is the second highest of those high points. This is a fairly obscure and irrelevant factoid, but apparently on the internet it somehow gets transmogrified into the 2nd highest peak overall. Uh, no.

Mapaholically yours, :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ellen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Howdy Phantasie :)

Wonderful trip report 8) I share your appreciation for a cold one post-hike.

Going up those switchbacks from Little Round Valley to the trail junction seems to take forever. I love "holy" rock -- sometimes it's adorned with pinecones.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: San Jacinto Peak via Deer Springs - Trip Report - 2013-0

Postby HH8 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Phantasie wrote:this was my first real hike > 2k feet.

Very impressive for a newbie!
You accomplished nearly 20 miles and not just a little over 2K.

I howled when I read, “Things started getting steeper at this point, with a series of switchbacks through a knee/waist high shrub brush with tough, horned branches.” I have met those horny bushes.

I also loved the picture captioned, “I saw a cloud on the north face trying to make its way up the mountain too! It's not often you're hiking above the clouds, and this gave me a little bit of confidence.”

At 11K, San Jacinto is not what sea-level hikers imagine. I appreciated your comment, “The last couple hundred feet was a dangerous scramble up large boulders. ... I was very, very tired - to the point where I had to be careful not to over exert myself for more than a 5 minutes for fear I would pass out.”
and
“Several sensitive parts were shafted. (I was in no shape to drive 2 hours) ”
Yeah, doing it from San Diego is always a whole ‘nuther adventure.

I especially liked your “Liquids … Solids” list.

Thanks for a fun read. :-)
HH8

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains