Silver fire ...

General Palm Springs area.

4:15 pm

Postby prairiecomm » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:45 pm

calfire:
4:15pm
The Silver Fire at the present time is burning uncontrolled in the foothills below Black Mountain.
Black Mountain has been evacuated and closed as a precaution. Boulder Basin and Black Mountain Campgrounds on Black Mountain Road have been closed through August 15.
prairiecomm

Postby Florian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:22 pm

The small community of Snow Creek is now under mandatory evacuation order.

-Florian
Florian

Postby Florian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:25 pm

I'm wondering if the PS tramway will be open tomorrow. I was thinking to go up on last day before their maintenance closure just to do a simple walk around Long Valley. If anyone hears re tram please update the thread. Also anyone thinking about hiking Skyline tomorrow should be prepared in case the tram is closed.

-Florian
Florian

Postby climbant » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Spent the first day on the west portion of the fire in the Poppet Flats Community. In the areas I worked most of the ground liter and dead/dying trees burned, but healthy trees and mature brush did very well. Hopefully the rest of the fire area have burned the same. Hiked up a knoll about 0100 this morning, looked like campfires everywhere.

-Anthony
climbant

snow creek

Postby prairiecomm » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Florian wrote:The small community of Snow Creek is now under mandatory evacuation order.

-Florian

I've been trying to find snow creek on the map- where is it? I'm assuming it must be that little cluster of houses (I see an orchard there too) at the west end of snow creek road ... where the PCT crosses.
prairiecomm

Re: snow creek

Postby Florian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:47 pm

prairiecomm wrote:I've been trying to find snow creek on the map- where is it? I'm assuming it must be that little cluster of houses (I see an orchard there too) at the west end of snow creek road ... where the PCT crosses.

You found it!

-Florian
Florian

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:29 pm

tarol wrote:"actively burning in the San Jacinto Wilderness"
I don't think they mean that literally, at least not in the sense of the Federally designated San Jacinto Wilderness Area. Take a look at this interactive fire map. You'll have to scroll around a bit. You can turn on USGS topo maps in the "layers" and get a pretty precise idea of where the fire is.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

hot spots as of 10pm 8/8

Postby prairiecomm » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:52 am

prairiecomm

Postby some guy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:10 am

It's definitely burned part of the SJ Wilderness (the dark green on this map):

Thanks for the updates everyone.
some guy

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:58 am

Interesting. The interactive fire map has many layers that one can turn on or off. When I turn on the Cal Fire perimeter (along with the USGS topo maps) in the "layers", the fire extends out further to the east. :( I guess the Cal Fire perimeter must be updated more frequently than the USGS GeoMac perimeter.

Here's a screen shot of what I'm seeing:

I've traced the PCT with a red line. The fire is very close.

I saw a photo of One Horse Ridge, which is just west of the PCT, that Hal posted on Facebook this morning. It was really burning. :( :(

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains