After the fire

General Palm Springs area.

After the fire

Postby Florian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm starting a new thread to continue discussion of the Mountain (Center) fire. The original post was up to 16 screens and received 12300 views!

I did go up the tram today around noon. Clouds were skirting Divide Peak and SJ summit wasn't visible. I couldn't see any evidence of the fire from Grubb's viewpoint. Didn't leave the station of course. Talked with tram Tim and Terry forest service info guy a bit. No real updates from what's already been discussed. Crews are still doing some cleanup but the fire perimeter is unchanged. No word on when trails will reopen. Some talk about maybe getting Long Valley open first and them perhaps the trail to Round Valley next.

Was good to just be up on the mtn again.

-Florian
Florian

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks for the post Florian (and all the helpful info you posted during the fire.) I have one basic pretty dumb question I'm kind of embarrassed :oops: to ask because I guess it's kind of simplistic: is the fire actually, well, out? I know 'containment" is a technical term and doesn't exactly mean 'completely out." Do you think there are still some areas that are still burning, albeit in a banked and dampened way? Hard to believe there are with the amount of rain that fell, but OTOH, this wasn't like a campfire. Huge conflagrations can, I presume, withstand a certain amount of water. Anyone?
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:13 pm

While there isn't a lot of happy news about the burn, the birds may be able to make very good use of such a zone for a while:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/0018.html

Perhaps we'll see some meadows developing next spring with extra wild flowers and happy birds enjoying their new found homes.

Okay, it ain't gonna be that great. Just tryin' not to be negative.

z
zippetydude

Postby Backwoods » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 pm

I posted a few new map's of the fire on FB today I'm not to up on posting pictures and video's except from YouTube on this board. Fell free to use them here if you want FB freands.
Backwoods

Postby Florian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:36 pm

cynthia23 wrote:Is the fire actually, well, out? I know 'containment" is a technical term and doesn't exactly mean 'completely out."

I didn't specifically ask if fire was completely "out". Seems there is no danger of it spreading and there are still crews on the mtn.

-Florian
Florian

Postby Backwoods » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:51 pm

A spoke to a firefighter here in Idyllwild today he said they are watching the log's that are down and still smoldering and that if the weather get's hot too soon and everything dry's out there could be some flair up's. I'd say they aren't waiting for that to happen a sky crain helicopter flew over towards the desert around 4:00 pm today with a bucket hanging. I coulden't tell you how many more droped water today I just happend to see that one. I have been hearing helicopters all day though. These guy's aren't waiting for something to happen they are kicking ass and going for the knockout
Backwoods

Postby Sally » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:26 am

The best wildflowers I have seen have been in burn areas.

I'm grateful that some of my favorite trails made it through unscathed.

I'm trying to keep it positive too!
Sally

Postby Stoneman1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:37 am

I sure would like to see a picture of the burn area in the high country. I have not been able to find any arial shot of the aftermath on the web.
I do fear high tree loss due to forest density. At least San Jacinto has National Monument status for plant diversity and has high national value. The mountain fire will go down in our local history and studied for years to come. With the diversity of the many ecosystems impacted by this fire. I'm sure some type of restoration projects will happen in the future.

One example is the cedar fire in 2003 that destroyed Cuyamaca State Park. The state is currently implementing reforestation efforts on 10% of the mountain. Due to fire suppression for decades. Cuyamacas fuel load was to dense. When the fire came through the forest. The trees didn't have a chance. 95% of the forest was incinerated with some even down to the roots. All though the forest will not be the same again for me in my lifetime. I now get to watch the recovery process of the forest.

As I walk through a burned forest. I remind myself fire is a part of a healthy forest. I still can't help but see it as a loss even though its not. It's me looking at it selfishly.
Stoneman1

Postby some guy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:57 am

No, the fire's not cold yet. This is last night's IR (~12:30am PST):

Flying around in google earth, I found this old fire scar north of Skunk Cabbage. All I can tell from the imagery available is that it burned some time between 1996 and 2004. And it's still just a scattered pile of dead trees. Does anyone know the fire history on this one?

I'm also really eager to see some post-fire pictures of the high country. White fir aren't very fire tolerant, but old Jeffrey pine and incense cedar can have pretty thick skin.
some guy

Postby recordalley » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:06 am

That was a fire in the late 90s, First day 60+ MPH winds fanned a campfire (illegal I think) & I thought the whole mountain was going to burn. Luckily the winds stopped & they were able to contain it to that small area. I remember watching the planes from hidden divide as they came over the ridge by tahquitz & fly low in tahquitz valley dropping retardant, quite a sight!
Get out of that damn contraption & walk!
--Edward Abbey
recordalley

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains