Skyline #276 on Saturday

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline #276 on Saturday

Postby DancesWithTheMountains » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi everyone,
Well, after two weekends of trying to get to the top, I finally made it this Saturday. It was pretty nice at 5:15 am, but the heat came on with a vengence around 5,000ft. It didn't cool off till I hit the first traverse in tree line. Ran into a few hikers that had some problems with cramping. Both of them were telling me that they took off to fast. I was pretty mad that one of the hikers was left behind by his so called friends. I stayed with him from Manzanita to the end of the trail. This guy was in trouble, but I still cannot believe that his friends left him there. He pulled through like a trooper. The rangers were waiting for us when we reached the end. We both laughed when we got to the concrete walkway. I told him if you think skyline was bad, wait till we try and go us this thing!!(lol)
I think our days on skyline, are numbered with this heat. Hope all of you that went on Sunday morning had a pleasant time of it.
Happy Trails
Doreen
DancesWithTheMountains

Postby guest » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Congrats Doreen,
Your a real trooper, besides, I hate coming down that trail!!
Nice of you to give that other hiker encouragement & moral support, sometimes I'm just too wrapped up in my own alone time, (which I need), that I'm not always as patient.
Well, don't tell me you walked all the way down tram road & back to Museum??!!??!!

See you up top, it's really nice in the forest now!

ss

Skyline # 276 on Saturday

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:17 am

Congratulations Doreen. I wish I could have been there, I still do 8400 ft elevation gain every week but I cant do it in one shot any more. The last time was at age 72 about three years ago. The last two times were a real struggle.
Next year some time you will be close to 300.
It was great that you still help those sruggling young guys - very inspirational 8)
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby bluerail » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:11 am

Congratulations dear ! the weather is starting to get warm on us thats for sure.

being there to help someone up is the most rewarding way to do skyline, nothing ever feels better than that. I have seen people leave friends behind, only because they were trying to save themselves and their pace just had to be what it was even if it was faster.

Also have seen them do it for the wrong macho reasons.

Hope to see you soon! Patti sais hi too!
bluerail

Postby Ellen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:14 am

Howdy Doreen :)

Congratulations to my hero and inspiration, the Skyline Queen 8)

Craig told me you came up on Saturday and walked down the tram road afterwards :shock: When we finished Skyline, I had to lay down on some chairs in the tram station before riding the tram down -- the heat really took it out of me.

Love you, my mountain sister.

Ellen
Ellen

Skyline: Responses

Postby DancesWithTheMountains » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Hello my friends,
Thanks for all the responses. I miss you all, especially you Ellen and
Steve and Patti. How was the heat, Ellen??? I cracked up about your comment at the end of your hike. I don't think it really matters what time you start. The heat will get you either way. I guess its just good if its only a few hours of it and not the whole day, like it was on Saturday.
Thank you all for your comments on the hiker that was in trouble. I only did what anyone of you would do. I would always feel safe knowing anyone of you were on the trail and if I needed help you would all come running. For all of us, its not about the time and racing to the top. We can do that anytime. It really comes down to being "in spirit" and putting someone elses needs ahead of your own. I remember a few years ago when I was having problems around 7500ft and Steve had to come down and walk me back to the end of the trail. You get back what you put out, and that trail tells a lot about us as human beings. I'm just grateful that I know the best of the best on that trail.
Love to you all
Doreen
DancesWithTheMountains

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:15 pm

OMG Doreen, I bow before you. Your willpower is like a force of nature unto itself. And I know you work for every inch up. IMHO nobody works harder on that trail than you. Congratulations again! And thanks for helping those struggling hikers. Some people on this trail can be totally ruthless about their Almighty PR and don't care about protecting other people or the wilderness at all. Thanks for showing us you can be a great hiker AND a good human being.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Skyline and Cynthia

Postby DancesWithTheMountains » Wed May 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi Cynthia,
Thanks for those kind words. Your another one of those skyliners that I miss seeing on the trail. I could never believe how much food you would take on your way up skyline. You always amazed me! So much time has gone by since we all shared that mountain together many years ago. Some hikers have come and gone, but the original crew still remains.(lol) I'm still hoping to be the oldest woman to climb Mt.Everest. I just hope there isn't any wind the day I do it.(lol) Hate that
wind.
Doreen
DancesWithTheMountains

Postby cynthia23 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:13 pm

Oh Doreen, you 'blow' me away (har har har!) If anyone can do Everest, it's you! Seriously though, I'm still trudging halfway up (and down) the trail on a weekly basis, but almost never on Saturday (it's a bad day for me, so it's usually Sunday or even a weekday.) The downside is I don't see 'the regulars' as much :( And yes, I still carry ridiculous amounts of food :)
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed May 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Wow. Congrats, Doreen.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains