Here We Go Again! Skyline rescue 4/20/13

General Palm Springs area.

Here We Go Again! Skyline rescue 4/20/13

Postby halhiker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:25 pm

halhiker

Postby HikerLinda » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:53 pm

..........duh...they started at approx 1:30PM.........What were they thinking, oh wait, they were not thinking.

Anxious to know about these smart people who IGNORED all heat awareness suggestions! Wasn't PS close to 100 today?

Just had to vent for I am always concerned that if people do not heed the heat warnings and need to be rescued, then one day this wonderfull trail will be closed and I've only hiked it once!
HikerLinda

Here we go again - Skyline Rescue 4/20

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:11 pm

They should have started 12 hours earlier :shock: Maybe someone told them that it gets cooler the higher you go :) It does but only one degree for every 250 feet.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby scotts » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:46 pm

Maybe authorities and/or writers on 'desert' related media need to be more direct about the rigors of Skyline.

The linked article sure missed an opportunity. I'm not a 'first timer' and am in 'good physical condition'. I 'hike in the mountains' all the time, on pretty much 'any hike', and always carry plenty of water.

I guess I'm ready for Skyline!

No. I wouldn't consider getting on Skyline under ideal conditions, with an experienced guide, with as much water as I might require.

People ought to respect Skyline like they respect a class 5 rapid. Most people just ain't gonna make it.
scotts

Postby bluerail » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:47 pm

they were really on trail two hours? were these people drunk ?

someone needs to let the media know that the death signs gone.
bluerail

and again.........

Postby HikerLinda » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:27 am

.....and another one on Sunday, April 21st. Maybe these people just want to see their name in print? Can there really be that many stupid people out there :shock:
HikerLinda

Postby Ellen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:01 am

Howdy All :)

Took the first tram up yesterday with the Craigmeister and our conductor Howard told us about the Saturday rescue. When Craig and I were enjoying a celebratory beverage post hike at about 3 PM, we learned that Ranger Bart was hiking down Skyline to assist someone at about 7 K.

I don't even know what to say...It's only April and folks are already being rescued on Skyline :?

On the hike yesterday, four people asked about Skyline. I directed them to this website.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Here we go again - Skyline Rescue 4/20

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:03 am

. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks for posting these, Hal and Cy. I don't know how I missed both episodes, I don't think they were in the paper.

Looks like it might be time for me to post my Annual Summer Skyline Death Warning :) where I singlehandedly close the trail :lol:
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Re: and again.........

Postby halhiker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 pm

HikerLinda wrote:.....and another one on Sunday, April 21st. Maybe these people just want to see their name in print? Can there really be that many stupid people out there :shock:

Yes.

And it's only just beginning.
halhiker

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains