First Skyline of 2013

General Palm Springs area.

First Skyline of 2013

Postby Ellen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:56 am

Howdy All :)

The Craigmeister, Angela, Liz and I headed up yesterday. Angela and Liz were surprised that I wore only shorts and t-shirt but were removing layers before we reached the picnic tables :lol: InFerno passed us on the Never Ending Ridge -- Craig teased him about not going barefoot :wink:

I was hoping for a weather repeat of last Sunday, but no go. The snow was fairly consistent above Flatrock. We donned microspikes when we started hitting icy patches. It was very cold on the traverse (I added a long sleeved shirt and down gloves) and the snow was deeper. This is the most snow I've seen on Skyline since early 2011. Thanks to Inferno, Scott2 and other greyhounds, we were following in their footsteps (literally).

The one advantage of beating the storm was the incredible views of the Coachella valley from the traverse. At times, following the footsteps up from Coffman's felt like going up a staircase. When we popped up over Grubbs Notch, it was feezing. I added a fleece jacket and hat but didn't want to take time to put on tights. My bare legs were a source of entertainment for the tourons on the climb up the cemet switchbacks.

We settled in at the bar. Before long, the San Jacinto hiking club returned from snowshoeing. Jennifer kindly offered to drive us back to the museum and we ran into Speedy Steve and Patti as we headed down the steps.

An absolutely lovely day with great friends 8)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: First Skyline of 2013

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Ellen wrote:InFerno passed us on the Never Ending Ridge -- Craig teased him about not going barefoot
Those aen't toes; those are 5 point crampons. :wink:

Ellen wrote:The one advantage of beating the storm was the incredible views of the Coachella valley from the traverse.
Ellen, we've go to hook you up with a camera one of these days!! You do all these great trips that desk jockeys like me miss out on due to lack of photos. Take photos! (I can only tell so many puns you know).

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 pm

As seen on Facebook:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ellen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:27 am

Trying to put in photo
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Ellen,

Click on the button that says "Img", paste in the address of your photo, and then click on the "Img" button again.

In this case, your photo's address is:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 9185_n.jpg

If I press the "Img" button, paste in the address, and then press the "Img" button again, I get something like this:
Code: Select all
[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/602701_10151347092703491_1182199185_n.jpg[/img]

Which when fully resolved looks like this:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ellen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Howdy HJ (aka TechnoMaster) :)

I understand your instructions but via Internet Explorer can't copy the darn URL for the picture from Facebook.

I know, I know, use Firefox.

I wanted to load the picture of being in shorts at Coffman's Crag.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Ellen wrote:Howdy HJ (aka TechnoMaster) :)

I understand your instructions but via Internet Explorer can't copy the darn URL for the picture from Facebook.

I know, I know, use Firefox.

I wanted to load the picture of being in shorts at Coffman's Crag.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Yeah, Firefox or Safari make life easier. You can do it in IE, but it's a pain. You have to right click on the photo, click on "properties", and then copy the address with your mouse. :evil:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ellen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks TechnoMaster HJ 8)
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains