Skyline in the daylight with friends

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline in the daylight with friends

Postby Ellen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:30 am

Howdy All :)

In addition to the exhilarating views and challenge, I love doing Skyline because I get to see my friends. I had planned to start at 5 AM but my hiking partner couldn't go. As the weather was nice and cool, I decided to start at 5:30.

When I got to the museum, I was amazed at the number of vehicles for a Sunday. I saw a couple taking pictures at the TH sign and offered to take their picture. I saw them about 250 vertical feet up too far to the right looking for the trail and got them back on route.

I only wore my headlamp for about 20 minutes -- it was wonderful to actually be able to see the lower section. At the picnic tables, I caught up with a large group from the San Fernando Valley. One hiker remembered me from a 2011 Skyline hike. He told me Ze was ahead of us and we swapped Ze stories -- he didn't realize that Ze had done the first double Skyline with Steve in 8 hours (for both) in 2009.

At about 3 K, I heard woo hooing and saw my friends Cindy Davilla, Dave Gillanders and Patti 8) Dave couldn't believe I was only wearing shorts and a tee-shirt as it was a bit nippy :lol: I actually felt great but my hands were a bit cold (they've been more sensitive since having frostbite).

I ran into Ze and his female friend right before St. Florian's cache and we hiked together to Flatrock. I glanced at my watch at Flatrock and realized I could go sub-five if I kept moving. I decided to go for it. Received a warm welcome from numerous friends -- including Krai, Janine, Lindella, Scott2, Speedy Steve, Ania, Carmen, and Phil -- who laughed as I hustled through Flatrock without stopping. Turns out I really missed out -- Phil was making his famous Flatrock cinamon rolls :o

I followed Ze's friend from Flatrock up -- occaisonally I would catch her when she lost the trail. The traverse seemed to take forever, but finally we were in the final climb up from Coffman's. At Grubbs Notch we donned clothing, snacked and waited for our friends to arrive. This was one of those days where my favorite part of a hike was hanging around with my friends at the END of the hike. Ze's group went up to the summit and the rest of us scrambled up the rocks to the tram bar. C2B is definately easier than C2C :lol:

Enjoyed suitable beverages and companionship. Scott2 kindly teased me that my new nickname was Barge. This did not refer to my muscular body type :roll: but rather because I barged through Flatrock without stopping :oops: I think I'll stick with Bloody Blonde hiking and/or Cactus Ass :wink: Cindy, Lindy, Krai, Janine and I wanted to go to Jake's for Sunday brunch, so we headed out about 1 PM.

The center of Palm Springs was closed for the Veteran's Day parade (thank you, veterans), so our cab driver gave us a tour of celebrity houses via back roads on the way to the museum. Fabulous experience -- what a great addition to an already wonderful day. I finally ate at Jakes and had probably the best turkey, bacon, avacado and tomato sandwhcih ever. Steve, Carmen, Patti and Scott2 arrived just as we finished brunch.

Thanks everyone for a fabulous day on the trail and beyond 8)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellen

Postby tinaballina » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Great TR pain sista, glad you all had a great day on the mountain.
tinaballina

Postby Ellen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Howdy Tina :)

We all missed you :cry:

Hugs,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Nice TR. Skyline in daylight? What's up with that? :lol:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Ellen, I love your TRs. They make me hungry, too!

And I bow down to your grit and gumption ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Skyline in the daytime with friends

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Nice trip report Ellen. You have inspired me to blog it. I used a picture from a previous trip

http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.c ... iends.html
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains