Thousand Island Loop Backpack, July 1 - 7, 2012

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Thousand Island Loop Backpack, July 1 - 7, 2012

Postby HikerBlatt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:03 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yopes/sets ... 483896910/

Trail Journal -

07/01/2012 7:16 PM

We are setting up camp at Gem Lake. We hiked in from the trailhead at Silver Lake on the June Lake Loop off of Highway 395.

The tents are up and George is getting water for all of us. There is no stream near our campsite so we will have to make do with lake water.

The sky is clear and it was a warm climb up the trail. Gavin has had reception on his phone most of the way here. He has been keeping up on games scores and able to make Facebook entries.

My pack is heavy and my feet are hot, but all in all a good 1st day on the trail.

07/02/2012 6:04 AM Gem Lake Campsite

I’m sitting on a rocky outcrop over the lake watching the sunrise. I love this part of the day. It’s a beautiful clear morning and fish are surfacing.

This is an unusual high country lake in that it has a hydro-electric dam along with the associated structures. It generates electricity for the communities below.

45 years ago today Edward Clinton Miller was Killed in Action in Vietnam. It is what it is….

2:46 PM

We are taking a break on Rush Creek just below the dam on Waugh Lake. We may have as much as two more hours before we come to a decent place to pitch camp. My pack feels like it is getting heavier….

6:04

We have set up camp on what was the bottom of Waugh Lake. My best guess from looking at the old water line is that the lake is down about 30 feet below its full stage. The exposed lake bed is littered with tree stumps.

We are camped next to the lake inlet stream and there is a strong and steady breeze that sometimes kicks up the fine dust from the exposed lake bottom. We were hoping the exposure to the breeze would reduce the impact of the biting bugs that were among the trees, but they have still managed to find us.

07/03/2012 7:20 AM Waugh Lake Campsite

It’s another beautiful clear morning. There is a backdrop of towering granite peaks with icy skirts standing over this valley of trees and lakes.

I’m a cup of coffee into the morning and I have another cup cooling next to me as I make this trail journal entry.

Mosquitoes are all up in my face. The breeze has gone and the bugs are in a feeding frenzy. I’m going for the bug juice…

12:33 PM

We are having lunch at Davis Lake. It was a short and pleasant hike and climb, but it has taken us more than an hour of searching to find a decent campsite. We finally found one and it appears it has been a long time since it was last used.

It is beautiful here surrounded by granite and ice and lake and flowing stream all through this small valley. There is a nice cool breeze blowing, but the bugs are still out and I am bug juiced and ready for them.

8:02 PM Davis Lake Campsite

We have decided to make tomorrow a layover day here. I like that. I caught two small fish. I’ll try again tomorrow.

The sun has dipped behind the eastern ridge and the temperature has dropped and a breeze has picked up. It is very pleasant. There are a few bugs, but not so much as there has been… at least so far.

4th of July 2012 2:07

I’m alone in camp at Davis Lake. George, Gavin and Dan are hiking to the upper Davis Lake. This has been a very relaxing day. This morning I took my fishing pole and caught four more small fish. Given my extra light gear, even catching the small ones is fun. I wound up hiking up to Rodgers Lakes which had great views down the valley we had hiked up. Great views of Waugh Lake down below in the distance.

For the first time it is a bit overcast and a strong, cool breeze has come up.

07/05/2012 5:12 PM

We only carried our packs about three miles today, but did a lot of hiking trying to find a suitable campsite near Thousand Island Lake. It’s a beautiful lake with Banner Peak towering over it.

We took a trail break on the meandering Island Pass and talked for a bit with three young men from the east coast who traveled out here for their first walk in the Sierra. They were loving this hike. Two of them were from Georgia and the other from Washington, DC. They gave us their version of the difference between this trail and the Appalachian Trail.

We are camped at a nice little lake with no name about a 10 minute hike from Thousand Island Lake. There were a lot of hikers back at the trail junction where a number of trails converge, including the Pacific Crest Trail and the John Muir Trail.

I’m sitting on the edge of a cliff looking down into a deep valley. The mountain ridge across the valley is a huge lava flow coming from a mountainous cinder cone. The geology here is an interesting convergence of solid granite and lava. There are lava cliffs where the lava flow ends and they stand over the valley that we came up days earlier. The lava cliffs have an uneven structure that reminds me of the Devil’s Post Pile lava.

5:46 PM

I am sitting at the campsite overlooking our beautiful nameless lake. We are right next to the outlet stream that falls through a gorge into the deep valley below us.

07/06/2012 10:19 AM No-name lake campsite

We’ve broken camp and are ready to get back on the trail. It’s another sunny and warm day. This has been a very nice site. I’m looking forward to the hike out and the next stop at Clark Lake.

3:43 PM

We’ve set up camp at the upper Clark Lake. The lake is set in an area of lava. We are set up on a plateau both above and below lava cliffs. Gem Lake is visible far below us, we can see Banner Peak as a beautiful mountain dominating the view to the south of us and Mono Lake is visible out to the north.

Tomorrow we will have about 5 miles of steep descent back to the trailhead and civilization.

07/08/2012

I’m home transcribing this latest backpack journal.

We had a nice hike down trail on another warm sunny day. There were a lot of people day-hiking up the trail with a few backpackers in their midst. We also saw a couple of large pack trains hauling people and supplies up the trail, but luckily they had passed before we got to the final trail.

We got to the cars, put our ripening bodies into clean clothes and changed our boots for shoes and headed for the nearest café for another breakfast, but most importantly it was a meal we didn’t make ourselves, we got to sit on chairs and someone else got to do the clean up afterwards.

George left separately taking a route through Yosemite National Park. I got to ride back to my car with Gavin and Dan to the little desert berg of Pearsonville and I was happy that my little truck was parked where I left it. I enjoyed hanging out with George and my nephews once again. It was another good week in the High Sierra.
Bicycles don't kill people, cars do.
http://desertroadkill.blogspot.com/
HikerBlatt

Re: Thousand Island Loop Backpack, July 1 - 7, 2012

Postby HH8 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:26 am

HikerBlatt wrote: the bugs are in a feeding frenzy.

well, it's July. (':roll:')

Thanks for sharing. Here's a view of Banner/Ritter and Davis over one of those unnamed lakes above Thousand Island

HH8

Great photo

Postby HikerBlatt » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:47 am

Very nice photo. I love the Sierra.... bugs or not, though easier without them. They were never really bad on this last trip just occasionally annoying and some days were not a problem at all.
Bicycles don't kill people, cars do.
http://desertroadkill.blogspot.com/
HikerBlatt

Postby zippetydude » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:28 am

Nice shots and looks like a very nice trip. I especially liked seeing Thousand Island Lake, as I have heard it's nice and couldn't really picture what it might look like. Great job, and thanks for the post.

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Nice stuff. Thanks for taking the time to keep and transcribe your trail journal. Any of you guys take pix? (hint, hint) :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Sally » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:30 am

Hi Hikin Jim - Yes, HikerBlatt put a link for pix at the top of his post, before the journal. And great pix they are!

Wonderful TR, HikerBlatt. I love that area, been there a couple of times, and wouldn't mind going again!
Sally

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:15 am

Sally wrote:Hi Hikin Jim - Yes, HikerBlatt put a link for pix at the top of his post, before the journal. And great pix they are!
Hi, Sally,

Yes, someone else pointed that out to me. Unfortunately my computer doesn't like Flickr, and I can't really see them (well, I can, but every screen is a mess). Dunno what's up with that.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby HikeUp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Best spam evah!
HikeUp

Postby Perry » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:59 pm

HikeUp wrote:Best spam evah!

That was a good one! I got rid of it.
I like microtones in microdoses.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:06 pm

What is it about this thread that attracts Spam? This one is in Japanese. :roll:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics