tram station leaving people to die

General Palm Springs area.

Tram Station leaving people to die

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:00 am

This is what could happen if the tram would be running in high winds.
http://www.blogcrystal.com/2011/02/13/g ... -practice/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xegUBIY6xZI
Uploaded by RobV1976 on Jan 4, 2010

On the 2nd of Jan 2010 c1530hrs a gondola between Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and Trockner Steg broke down due to ice on the cables and strong winds (the ambient temperature was -28C). We were stranded in the car for over 1.5 hours after which time Air Zermatt performed a heli evac of 6 people at a time down to the station at Trockner Steg.

17 likes, 0 dislikes

Uploader Comments (RobV1976)

Whoa! That looks quite fun! Maybe not worth the 1,5h wait. When did you get your equipment back from the condola?

ruff80s 1 year ago

@ruff80s Yeah, the heli ride in the end made the waiting in -28 well worth it :) Thankfully none of us had ski gear with us (we were there for sightseeing only). I think if we did, we wouldn't have got them back until the next day, which is when they managed to get the gondola moving again.

RobV1976 1 year ago

Wow what an amazing video! I was there on January 4 and thankfully I didn't get stranded.

kimblrr 1 year ago

Thanks for the comment - sounds like you were lucky :) We actually left on Jan 3rd so missed you by a day.

RobV1976 1 year ago

see all
All Comments (5)
Sign In or Sign Up now to post a comment!

same we were there the 4th to the 12th good thing it didn't happen to us either. Though i think I would've enjoyed the helo ride.

diggydirt1982 1 year ago

Another place we need a shelter is between Flat Rock and the Traverse at 7400 feet :)
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Re: What would you do

Postby halhiker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:37 pm

bobmc wrote:To zippitydude

To counter your points.

1 this was not a little day hike as you suggested. It should be classified as winter mountaineering and you should be prepared to spend the night in the forecast conditions.

2 If you would have read my post you could have inferred that I would not take people up there if a storm was forecast.

3 If I owned a house at said hypothetical location. I would surely let them stay. Then I would lecture them all night so that they would never go out unprepared again or they would become so annoyed with my rant that they would gladly sleep in the the garage.

Mt point is If you are going into the wilderness you have to meet it on its terms don't expect anyone to bail you out.

I don't know what the tram policy is but I do think that the tram should have a disclaimer that when there are storms or dangerous weather conditions forecast that they may not be able to take people back down if they wander into the wilderness boundary. Which, I believe is less than a mile away from the tram station.

1. Seriously? I've been out in white-outs at the Tram in the winter and haven't considered it winter mountaineering. I've considered it a fun day hike. I guess now I'm going to have to start carrying a 50 lb. and pull out my sled to carry the fuel and extra food I'll need. Funny but I've even forgotten my stove on the dozens of "winter mountaineering" trips I've done at the Tram. Seems I've been woefully underprepared.

2. This is directed at the Tram, right?

3. I think more analogize to someone staying in your home would be taking people on a bus trip and then bailing on them because the weather was changing. Imagine if you got back to your meeting place and found the bus in the parking lot but the driver was gone. With it was a note that he left because the weather was getting back but he'll be back once it gets better. Oh, BTW, the bus it locked and you can't use it for shelter because you might sweat in it and make it smelly. It it were me I'd light the bus on fire to stay warm.

The Tram is part of the tourism industry here and gave us a black eye. I've talked to hikers and non-hikers in the hotel I work at and NOT ONE thought the Tram did the right thing. What they did is an embarrassment.
halhiker

Postby The Shovel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:36 am

From the Long Valley Cam - Certainly an invalid comparison!

The Shovel

PSAT Announces Plan for Stranded Hikers ...

Postby scottmac » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:48 am

scottmac

Postby The Shovel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Deleted
Last edited by The Shovel on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Shovel

Tram Station leaving people to die

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:17 pm

They were brave to go up in that weather (amended)
Here is the link
http://www.meetup.com/Hiking-Coachella- ... /55751132/
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby hvydrt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:02 pm

hmmmm, why would the tram have to shelter people doing C2C? Or are they only responsible for people that took the tram up?
hvydrt

Postby Florian » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Didn't the other group that spent the night in the mule shed initially ride the tram up the mountain prior to their hike? The group today hiked the Skyline. I'm glad they are warm and safe inside. I think i would just walk back down instead of spending the night. It was nice of the tramway to open their doors.

-Florian
Florian

Night by a warm fire ?

Postby SimonBentley » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:23 pm

The Tram will reopen at 8 a.m. on Sunday, March 25, weather permitting.

Information: (760) 325-1449.
Last edited by SimonBentley on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who Dares Wins .
SimonBentley

Postby » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:41 pm

The Shovel wrote:Like the group that spent the night in the mule shed, this group also ventured out precisely because the warnings of severe weather.

you're ridiculous

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains