Hiker Found Dead After Search

General Palm Springs area.

Hiker Found Dead After Search

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:59 pm

. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Very sad

Postby halhiker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:12 pm

I suspect he died of hypothermia. A night exposed with temperatures in the 40s is very dangerous. That's one reason no matter where I hike no matter the distance I carry two means to start a fire.

Sympathies to the family and friends of this young man.
halhiker

Postby bluerail » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:47 am

very sad. so many people get out there ill prepared, the illness factor is odd though, something that sudden ?

yesterday Fern and I came up snowcreek, bad conditions and a true trip from hell found us at the peak right at dark, heading down through the drainage we heard a bunch of whistling and screamning, we came upon two couples that were completely lost in the dark, no lights, clothing that would'nt keep them warm, nothing but tennis shoes on their feet, only soft snow or ice to walk on....three of them were crying and very upset, the other gathering stuff for a shelter. We were the only idiots left up there that were headed to the tram.....Had we missed them, they would have had a very long and uncomfortable night.....completely unprepared, not the first time we have come across this situation either.

My thoughts go out to the family.
bluerail

Postby Florian » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:29 am

bluerail wrote:yesterday Fern and I came up snowcreek, bad conditions and a true trip from hell found us at the peak right at dark, heading down through the drainage we heard a bunch of whistling and screamning, we came upon two couples that were completely lost in the dark, no lights, clothing that would'nt keep them warm, nothing but tennis shoes on their feet, only soft snow or ice to walk on....

Wow! Were they ever lucky you guys came along! Good job!

-Florian
Florian

Hiker found dead after search

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:18 pm

Steve - how long did it take you? Its okay if you dont want to talk about it.
I heard that there are a bunch of people going up Skyline tomorrow.

There are now 32 articles related to the hiking tragedy
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=pfw ... 24&bih=587
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby bluerail » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:53 pm

what a real tragedy...people need to think more out there.

Cy, we had a long day..cab dropped us at 2;30 am on sc road. we hit the peak at 5 pm , got our gear off and left the peak a half hour later. the second hardest trip we have had in there. really bad conditions.
bluerail

Postby zippetydude » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:23 pm

It sounds like he took ill rather suddenly - not much any of us can do to prepare for that.

My heart goes out to this 24 year old, with his life before him, a love of the wilderness (who else goes out there other than those who love it?) and to have a tragedy suddenly befall him without even doing anything wrong - just doesn't seem fair.

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:29 pm

Howdy Speedy Steve :)

I can't even begin to imagine how difficult the current conditions are on Snow Creek :o Glad you're both OK 8)

I agree with Florian -- thank goodness you happened upon the hikers.

My thoughts and prayers are with the hiker's family.

From the heart,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby hvydrt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:43 pm

I am familiar with the Santa Rosa Hills. Its not a very remote area, surrounded on 3 sides by the City of Hemet. There are dirt roads and bike trails crossing the area. You can walk to most any part of the area in less than 1 hour. What ever happened it must have been sudden.
hvydrt

Postby halhiker » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:49 pm

bluerail wrote:very sad. so many people get out there ill prepared, the illness factor is odd though, something that sudden ?

yesterday Fern and I came up snowcreek, bad conditions and a true trip from hell found us at the peak right at dark, heading down through the drainage we heard a bunch of whistling and screamning, we came upon two couples that were completely lost in the dark, no lights, clothing that would'nt keep them warm, nothing but tennis shoes on their feet, only soft snow or ice to walk on....three of them were crying and very upset, the other gathering stuff for a shelter. We were the only idiots left up there that were headed to the tram.....Had we missed them, they would have had a very long and uncomfortable night.....completely unprepared, not the first time we have come across this situation either.

My thoughts go out to the family.

I've come across lost folks and it's nice to know the way and be able to say, "Follow me".

Once, I was coming off San Jacinto in a near whiteout. As I was walking near Tamarack, I saw the faint figure of someone going the other direction. I called out and walked over to them. I asked them where they were heading and they told me, "The Tram". Well, you'd better come with me, I told him, because you're going the wrong way. "How do you know?". One, I know the area and two, I have a compass. The Tram is that way. That guy would probably still be out there.
halhiker

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains