Hiking Fools Get Together

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Hiking Fools Get Together

Postby Wildhorse » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Could have been Ruth Hardy Park which is north and west of the corner of Tamarisk and Caballeros. That park is in central Palm Springs, not far from downtown.
Wildhorse

Postby zippetydude » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:43 pm

The only one I know of is Sunrise Park by the swim complex. It is very nice. It's at the corner of Ramon and Sunrise. But anywhere is fine with me.

z
zippetydude

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:49 pm

Amazingly, I happen to remember we met in Victoria Park, on the north end of town. It's a nice enough park though can be a bit windy. We (IMHO) definitely should NOT meet in Sunrise Park because, frankly, it is overrun with homeless folks and pretty unpleasant. Ruth Hardy Park is very nice, but generally a little busier than Victoria Park and it might be a little harder to snag a barbecue. Victoria is also a bit easier to get to for those coming from out of town as it's just off highway 111.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby zippetydude » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Good thing we have some locals with inside knowledge! I've only been there during swim meets with my daughters and I've never seen any homeless people. The city probably chases them all off before meets to preserve appearances. Thanks for the waive off on that Cynthia!

z
zippetydude

Postby Wildhorse » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Z, that is interesting to know. The homeless encampment by the library seems to have grown over the years. I wonder where the people who live there go during the events.
Wildhorse

Postby Sally » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:33 am

Saturday the 28th would be best for me. I'm thinking about bringing chili with all the fixin's again. HJ, I hope you will dazzle us with your back country culinary skills again!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Sally

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Sounding all pretty good. :)

Saturdays are generally better for me; I teach class Sunday mornings. However, if the consensus is for Sunday, I can try to get someone to cover for me.

Perry, I used to take Joycie up the tram. Yeah, it's a pain and expensive and all, but I'd hike around with her strapped to my chest, and it turned out to be pretty fun. But I think we're going to a park now instead of the tram, so that's neither here nor there. :)

We've had fun over time doing "potluck" omelettes. I have more stoves than sense which isn't saying much, but, really, I do have a lot of stoves. If people bring omelette fixin's, I've got the cooking gear.

And that Zippety Dude. Such a kidder. What Sierra photos? Honestly!

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains