SKYLINE RESCUE TONIGHT

General Palm Springs area.

SKYLINE RESCUE TONIGHT

Postby HikerLinda » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 pm

While on my fitness trail tonight, small plane and helicopter buzzing overhead.

After hike and getting back to my car, I drove over to the search and rescue site, almost 8 PM, there I was told that a man, 25, got off the skyline trail, phoned for help and they finally found him at/around the 2400 feet.

He was hiking solo.

Hiker Linda
HikerLinda

Postby Screerider » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:17 am

I'm looking for an ultra light I-phone as a replacement for my emergency gear. Any suggestions? It has to have a lot of games in case I have to spend the night. :idea:
Screerider

Postby Ellen » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 am

Howdy Linda :)

The Craigmeister and I saw someone with a headlamp above us on the trail when we passed the Ramon/Museum trail junction by the big cairn of rocks at about 6:15 am yesterday. Don't know if it was the same individual.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby HikerLinda » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi Ellen:

Someday I need to meet you in person, the famous Ellen who has hiked the Skyline SO many times.

Thought the rescue would be in the paper today.........

I was on SOUTH LYKKEN from 5:15 going to Mesquite trailhead, 1hr 35 minutes and the planes were out the complete time I was on the trail.

3 firends and I are avid hikers, smart women. We hope to hike the complete Skyline soon, looking at April 2nd if all our ducks are aligned and the weather is cooler.

Any hints or advice would be so welcomed. I have promised everyone they will NOT be reading about us in the local newspaper :D

Hiker Linda
HikerLinda

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Screerider you made me laugh! :D
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby neverwashasbeen » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Here is the report from the PSPD Facebook page:

"On Monday, March 18, 2013, at approximately 4:25 PM, PSPD received a report of a lost and dehydrated hiker at approximately 2400' elevation, south of the Museum Trail. The 24 year old male reported that he had began hiking at 3:30 AM and became lost after leaving the Museum Trail. The hiker eventually ran out of water and became lost. The hiker called 911 via his cellphone and requested assistance. The Palm Springs Mounted Police Search and Rescue Team, the Palm Springs Fire Department, and the Palm Springs Police Department responded to a nearby location on the ground and coordinated the rescue efforts. A CHP helicopter airlifted members from the Palm Springs Mounted Police Search and Rescue Team to the lost hiker and he was airlifted from the location. He was later transported to a local hospital in stabile condition."

I'd venture to guess that this is the individual Ellen and Craig saw.
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains