Saturday Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Ellen » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Howdy Stockwell :)

I agree with Hikin' Jim 8)

Conditions can change rapidly on the traverse on Skyline based on the amount of new snow and whether or not there's been melting and refreezing of old snow.

Since this forum is home to Skyline Addicts Not So Anonymous, you'll have no problems finding out the conditions 8)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Howdy Kathryn,

I agree with Danny (Wild) -- our legs generate a lot of heat while we're hiking and thus stay warm (as long as the skin isn't touching snow or being hit by chilly wind). In cold temperatures, the body diverts blood from the extremities to the core to maintain core temperature. Thus, the hands and feet suffer.

When one hikes in snow (especially when snow cover the boots), the feet are likely to get cold due to conduction through the soles of our boots -- think of your rear getting cold sitting on a cold rock or bench. This is especially true if the boots aren't waterproof or insulated and if one isn't wearing gaiters.

When one stops exercising, blood is sent to the extremities to warm them up. The return of cold blood from the extremities drops core temperature, this in known as "dumping the core." One can be fine hiking in the snow and then start shivering uncontrollably in the tram station.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Kathryn61 wrote:Skyline is funny that way...I was wearing shorts too for most of the way up and at the same time I had to wear gloves and a few layers up top. It seems the legs are the last to get cold. I wonder if there is a reason for that...Oh and while my legs were fine, my toes were freezing! Ellen, why is that??
Ellen

Postby Kathryn61 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks so much for the in-depth explanations Ellen and Wild! And that happened to me last weekend. I hiked up Skyline in freezing weather and only my hands were really cold. It was just about 20 degrees. And then at the tram station I couldn't get warm. I was freezing for a few hours after that hike and I couldn't stop shivering.

Kathryn
"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake."
Kathryn61

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:00 pm

Kathryn61 wrote:And then at the tram station I couldn't get warm.
Well, then go back outside, silly. :wink:

"Dumping the core," eh? Interesting. I've experienced that as well.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Yeah, I get that too. Especially if I'm mountain biking in the snow in the hills behind my house. I'll be warm on the way up since I'm working, but on the way down I get hit doubly because I'm idle, just sitting on the bike, and I have a 20+ mile an hour wind coming at me the whole time as I ride down. When I get home, I'll get in a hot shower, but it still takes 15-20 minutes of very hot water to warm back up. Maybe one of these physics guys can come up with a safe kind of microwave for human use? Warm up that core in 3 minutes or less!

z
zippetydude

Postby neverwashasbeen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm

I find that hot drinks speed up the warming process in a "core dump" situation. The long hot shower is real nice, even is somewhat slow. :)
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Sign at top of Skyline

Postby SimonBentley » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:31 am

Well Jim , it seemed to appear in early 2012 . That was when I first saw it . I feel it is trying to tempt people to wander down the hill to see what's there !
Hikin_Jim wrote:Nice photos. Looks like a nice time.

When did they put up that sign?

HJ
:arrow:
Who Dares Wins .
SimonBentley

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains