Thinking About Doing Skyline...

General Palm Springs area.

Thinking About Doing Skyline...

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:16 pm

I keep toying with the idea of doing Skyline, but I'm not sure. I've been off work for nearly 2 months, so I'm in better shape than I was, but 2 months does not make for top shape, at least not in my case.

I've done some relatively tough trips recently:
Bighorn Mountain and Dragon's Head Pk ~5K' gain
Mt. Baldy (ski hut trail) ~4K' gain
Momyer Creek Trail loop (up Momyer Creek, down Falls Creek) ~5K' gain
Vivian Creek Trail (just to High Creek Camp) ~3K' gain
Marion Mountain Trail (to Newton Drury Pk) ~4k' gain

I think I can do it; it'll just be one heck of a suffer fest for me. I figure on 11 to 12 hours on the trail at my pace (VERY slow, typically 1mph).

The most I've done is about 5K' gain in a day. I did the Momyer Creek trail with full overnight gear (31 lbs including food, fuel, and water), but dang I was tired the next day or two.

My conundrum is whether I should try for Skyline tomorrow morning or try an intermediate hike of about 6K' gain to see how it feels (Iron Mountain or Baldy from the villiage). I worry that if I don't do Skyline soon, snows will effectively shut down the route for me. Of course I can wait until spring, but God willing I'll have a job by then and may not have the time to do it or to stay in shape for it.

Just thinking out loud here. :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Thinking of doing Skyline

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:54 pm

There is a 60 percent chance of rain or snow at the Mountain Station on Friday. Onlly 20 percent on Saturday

http://desertweather.com/forecasttram.php
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby bluerail » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Just do it Jim....you'll be fine. Carry as little weight as possible, enough fluids, a layer or two and some gels or whatever fuel, maybe some electrolyte caps . There's a bar at the end of the trail...its worth it.
bluerail

Postby zippetydude » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Steve's absolutely right. I'd say maybe wait a week for the weather to clear, then go for it. If you can omit enough of the 10,000 essentials, you'll feel like you're just floating up the trail! Well, not really. In my case I went up to 4k and back down, then 5k and back down, then when I hit Flat Rock I just went for it. Since you have a trick knee, you won't want to use that approach, so I think your previous experience (about 100x what most first time Skyliners have) and friends on the trail (I'm in Ridgecrest doing a 50k this weekend but I hope to do Skyline next weekend) to cheer for you and buy you a beer at the top, you'll do great.

LMK if you're gonna give it a go either weekend. If you go this weekend, no worries and have fun!

z
zippetydude

Postby bluerail » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:26 pm

yea....like zip said !!!!!

do it Jimmy.

it's the Sam Adams trail !!

btw zip.......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridgecrest,_California

CRUMVILLE ??

I want to end up there !
bluerail

Postby Ulysses » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Remember also Jim that on those other hikes you had to hike down the same distance and elevation. Go for it.
Ulysses

Re: Thinking of doing Skyline

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:36 pm

Cy Kaicener wrote:There is a 60 percent chance of rain or snow at the Mountain Station on Friday. Onlly 20 percent on Saturday

http://desertweather.com/forecasttram.php
Thanks, Cy. That's a very different forecast from what they were predicting earlier (20%). Rats. Consensus seems to be to stay off Skyline if it's going to be ugly weather.

Saturday, December 8 is a distinct possibility if the weather holds although I had hoped to do it mid-week when there weren't a lot of people around so I could challenge my route finding skills (probably no big deal to follow the route these days). If I go on the eighth, everybody can come and gawk at HJ as he tries to set a new record for world's slowest Skyline. :roll:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Hah! Never heard that before. This is your kind of terrain, Steve, you'd love it. Even better is the Calico 50k in January. Beautiful desert mountains, a stunning view from the Ends of the Earth aid station, and some incredible arches you actually run under a couple of miles from the end. Old mines everywhere, multicolored rock (hence Calico) in all directions...

Scroll down for some pics:

http://www.calicotrailrun.org/The_Course.html

Wish me luck on Sunday and I hope to see you all (including HJ!) the next Sunday on Skyline.

z
zippetydude

Do it

Postby halhiker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Go for it! A little light rain would make it that much better, IMO. The last time I did San Jacinto this summer it rained a good portion of the time and it was AWESOME. I didn't like the almost getting hit by lightning part but the rain was beautiful. Plus, a little inclement weather will probably insure you're the only one out there. I can't think of a better day to do it.
halhiker

Skyline

Postby Carl F » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Sounds exciting HJ!!

I know you will love it. It's not as hard as you think.

Can't wait for the Trip Report, and don't spend too much time in the bushes hiding from Doreen!
Carl F

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains