Story of missing hiker in Joshua Tree NP

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Re: Story of missing hiker in Joshua Tree NP

Postby Perry » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Thanks Richard. It's hard to remember all these details over a period of years. Since Mike's experiments showed the tower understating the distance by less than a few tenths, maybe Bill's cell phone was 10.7 or 10.8 miles from the tower.
A penny saved is greater than a penny earned because you don't have to pay taxes on it.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby RichardK » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Adam Marsland just completed search number 87. Bill not found.
RichardK

Postby bretpct » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:59 pm

What do Tom, and other SAR trained individuals have to say about debris scatter? During my last trip to SWC earlier this month I experienced substantial winds, gusting to in excess of 60mph. Not to mention the record rainfall we've experienced in the area.

If Bill succumbed on the slopes of SWC, wouldn't we be finding some debris in the canyon bottom, like water bottles, or fabric from a backpack?

My last trip, on 4/8/17, I went up a drainage on the North side of SWC, directly east of the second "acacia grove of death". It was surprisingly easy to get up to the crest. I never once had to ditch my poles and crawl on all fours.

Heading out into SWC. A beautiful day.

Seeing what the "superbloom" looked like in SWC.

The crest of this surprisingly climbable drainage.

And here's the link to all my recent Ewasko hikes, in case anyone's interested: http://caltopo.com/m/LL01
bretpct

Postby RichardK » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:30 am

Thank you, bretpct, for this informative report. I would say that your tracks constitute searches JT88 to JT93 or some such.
RichardK

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics