Story of missing hiker in Joshua Tree NP

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Re: Story of missing hiker in Joshua Tree NP

Postby RichardK » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:39 pm

I didn't mean that Bill's fate was identical to Claire Nelson's. There are many ways to be injured in the backcountry. If Bill crawled under a rock pile for shelter or fell into a pile of rocks or whatever so that he is well out of sight, then that explains why all the searches were fruitless.
RichardK

Postby zippetydude » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:33 pm

As an aside that is more about humanity than any particular search, I think that this thread reveals two important things that have nothing to do with Ewasko.

First, we all have a profoundly and wonderfully pronounced desire to take care of one another. Even years later, this thread continues, and even though the focus has shifted (from saving Bill to helping his family find closure) the bottom line is that we take care of each other. I find this the best and truest part of humanity.

The second is just as pronounced, but much less lauded. We are all curious creatures. Curious as ... well, I bet you wish I would have finished that phrase, you curious human. It kills us not to find closure, to not find a clear and precise answer to what happened.

That is why this case has over 385000 views, well over a third of a million. Because we all reach out, we are all concerned and willing to spend our own time and resources to help, and our minds simply can't rest on a subject unless we can find a solution.

So, perhaps someone will somehow solve this baffling case. I'm the lowest on the totem pole here, I've seen monumental efforts, sustained efforts, and so far nothing but failed efforts. Hat's off to all who have searched, to those have theorized, and those who have merely followed along hoping for a resolution. Our very nature is revealed in situations like this.

And I admit there is a third motive on my shallow, egocentric part...I would love to be the one who found him. But that's just me.

z
zippetydude

Postby Ed » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 am

I am in awe of the effort that has gone into this case, by so many people on this discussion board. The fact that it has not so far yielded closure only makes me more in awe of it.
Ed

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics