Snow creek conditions?

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Snow creek conditions?

Postby Dunning Kruger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:38 pm

Just noticed the track didn't record down the "Big Bench" to Falls Creek. That section is pretty straightforward actually. I'll have a new and more accurate track recorded early next winter.
Dunning Kruger

Postby Dunning Kruger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:42 pm

A couple of pics.
Attachments
20200318_165248.jpg
The Big Bench to Falls Creek.
20200318_165543.jpg
Down the ridge.
Dunning Kruger

Postby Dunning Kruger » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:04 pm

I've had many trips up there- this should be the most complete and accurate track so far.

In confused terrain like this, it's helpful to convert the track to kmz and import to Google Earth as a "project" for real time orientation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q-_s8Z ... p=drivesdk
Dunning Kruger

Postby RevanTheDestroyer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 pm

I just got back from an attempt yesterday. Made it to the ithsmus, but the snow was much, much higher than the chockstone.
A lot of snow on the higher mountain from the recent storms, but it never came down low. Wasn’t worth the risk trying to go high up, and having unforeseen avie conditions, or getting cliffed out on a descent. Super bummed, this is my 2nd year with not prime conditions. Would be nice linking up with someone who has frequented the route, to hit it with the next time conditions come around
RevanTheDestroyer

Postby Dunning Kruger » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:02 pm

This would be a terrible situation if someone were to ski or snowboard down and find themselves having to descend hundreds if not a thousand feet of icy boulders and slabs. Turning around would be just as bad.

Thanks for the report!
Dunning Kruger

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains