More asinine graffitii on Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Re: More asinine graffitii on Skyline

Postby guest » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for the post.
No matter how many times this A-hole feels his little ego needs stroking, buy defacing public property, there's 10 times as many of us to remove it.
And, some of us aren't on the trail the entire time, and, we have eyes, and binoculars, cell phones and direct lines to State Park officials.

BTW, if anyone knows where to purchase a mini-can of granite-colored spray paint, let us know.
Thxs
ss

Postby DancesWithTheMountains » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:44 pm

HI Everyone
I too was mad as hell when I heard about the paint on skyline. I was on Skyline Sunday and who ever cleaned it up did a great job. I heard it was Dennis that
helped with the paint removal, if so, my heart thanks you! I did see a few markings on the switchbacks going up the shady side a little under 3000ft. Then I saw a few green arrows. What really made me mad was some idiot destroyed my little wall that I was trying to build up to protect that area that is collapsing on the red hill before 5000 ft. I have a feeling
it was the same moron who painted the rocks. There is another thing that happens every year at this time. Someone takes a bag of white grounded up chalk and just throws
it all over the trail and usually ends up putting it in places that are off the trail. I was able to cover most of it with dirt Sunday morning, but I will have to go back up with
a brush and water to get it off the rocks. I have also seen this up on the Deer Springs Trail. It seems to me that its some kind of ritual because it happens every year
at this time. This issue with the paint is really disturbing. We seem to be good for a couple of seasons and then some piece of crap just has to leave their mark. I would love
to just once, catch someone doing this. I don't think they would ever come back!
Skyline is clear of snow as of Sunday. It was good to see Ellen and the girls and Diana of course. It was such a pretty day. No one else on the trail.
If any of you are doing skyline this coming weekend please keep in mind that the temps will be hot and its Easter, so the Tram will be loaded with tourists.
You may have a long wait to get on the tram car going down. To all of you doing Skyline, please remember to stay on the trail and keep our mountain pristine. There is no
other trail quite like our Skyline
Happy Trails
Doreen
DancesWithTheMountains

Postby arocknoid » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:20 pm

Ellen wrote:
Wish we could catch the !@#$% in the act and spray the jerk green with their own paint :twisted:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

A.E. van Vogt solution--apply to miscreant-- "A Can of Paint" (1944 but I recall it from reading in the 1960s ;-)

howls and growls,
arocknoid
arocknoid

A fitting punnishment

Postby Ellen » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:51 am

Howdy "Noid :)

I wasn't familiar with your reference, so I cheated :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Can_of_Paint

Priceless!!! And the paint vandal would certainly fail the IQ test :lol:

Ah, if life were only like science fiction and classic movies.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ed » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:51 pm

DancesWithTheMountains wrote:What really made me mad was some idiot destroyed my little wall that I was trying to build up to protect that area that is collapsing on the red hill before 5000 ft.

The most useful pile of rocks on the trail. Though many people still fail to get the message.
Ed

Postby Pyrodude » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:53 pm

I went up today and erased the "5 mi" abomination. I'll get the "7 mi" one next time up---located just after Palm Springs Rock. It should be fairly easy----on a very smooth small granite stone. I got a can of Valspar rock textured spray paint which I will experiment with on one of the arrows. (it is grayish in color) If I can make that work I'll look for a red rock shade of the same product to try on some of the red rock arrows. This fool tagged the trail all over! I noticed for the first time the "3 mi" marks----he was so proud of his work he sprayed it twice on both sides of the trail. I'll give the Valspar a little test on those too, so the use of vigorous wire brushing and nasty chemicals can be avoided.
Pyrodude

Postby neverwashasbeen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:41 pm

I have done some unscientific testing and a simple urine rinse does not remove the paint. Sad!
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Postby Pyrodude » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:35 am

I went up yesterday. Having used Goof Off and a wire brush on 2 of the larger masterpieces I discovered a couple things: The chemicals are very nasty and I don't want to use them anymore, and the end result is NOT totally pristine.

Therefore, I just went for it and painted over every yellow green abomination I came across using a textured sandstone paint, which ended up working like a primer coat. (I missed an arrow near Doreen's wall and the new annoying fox head below the old Bighorn sign---I'll get them next time). In the near future 3 of us are going up with different colored textured paints and will put on a more cosmetically pleasing top coat. I obtained that paint today. Much thanks to Lady Di for her generous donation yesterday to help defray the expense---I'm good now.

There are 2 signs that I have not seen ("4 mi" and "6 mi") because they are on classic Skyline and I missed them while on an alternate route. (Not on a shortcut! Shortcuts bad!!)

If this stuff disappears as soon as it appears, maybe it will not encourage imitators of the fluorescent green yellow shitweasel.

Dennis
Pyrodude

Postby Ellen » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Howdy Dr. Pryo :)

Thanks so much to you, Lady Di and everyone else who has worked on removing the abominations.

Gratefully,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby guest » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:13 pm

Thanks all & your work Pyrodude, if there's a store in PS where I could get a small can, let me know (& the color).
I'm with you, the chemicals are crap, right in the middle of a seriously aerobic climb!
Plus, as mentioned, the faster you get on the "Shitweasel (classic!) assault on nature & climbers, the better.

Anyone considering Skyline, temps are climbing, use good judgement.
ss

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains