More asinine graffitii on Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

Re: More asinine graffitii on Skyline

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Speaking of Steve, I believe he had found some kind of paint formula that 'matched' granite very well and basically covered up graffiti. Scrubbing or chemical-ing it off is impossible and too toxic.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby guest » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:15 pm

Hi Cynthia,
That is probably the best & most practical, (considering anything has to be lugged 6k ft. up a mt.). I've seen some examples, many times it's hard to tell.
Even the cities use something to cover up graffiti in a similar way. Also, if they is a next time, it's much easier to keep covering it up, so the fools will get little satisfaction in their inconsiderate deeds.
If someone on hear knows of a good product, I'm happy to use it my next time up, (but I'm busy with work right now).

thxs, ss

Postby zippetydude » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:31 am

I used the granite paint when we covered up the orange dots. The next time I went up I tried to find them, couldn't find any at all! The SGWA uses cement. You simply take a little bit, add water to make it a paste, then smear it on. It also becomes virtually invisible. Maybe bring both to match the surface of the rock?

z
zippetydude

Postby guest » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Hummmm, interesting Zip. How bout we bring cement, and if we find these yahoos, cement Them to the rock!?
Then they could wave as climbers file by, and we could splash some sticky gu's to them!
ss

Postby zippetydude » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Excellent thought Scott. Maybe even take all their water away and get the gu all over their hands. That would drive them nuts! We'd have to do it on a cool day so we didn't get accused of attempted murder, but can you imagine hiking up or down half of Skyline with maddeningly sticky hands? Is it just me, or does that sound like a fate worse than death?

In all seriousness, though, as in that previous event, I want to try to believe the best about even preposterous actions. I am hoping that they thought they were being helpful, since they "posted" the elevation, not "Spanky wuz here!" or some other nonsense. Still, I do find it hard to conceive of someone in this day and age not understanding that the wilderness is not improved by painting markings and directions on rocks, trees, etc. I think old fashioned hard work on trails, like making the route clearer by helping to strengthen the quality of the main trail and perhaps disguise one of the many braids that appear from time to time would be the single best approach.

Skyline has been unique in its evolution, since it has become wildly popular without enjoying the enforced stability of an official trail. I remember when there was only one shortcut that I knew of - it was then referred to as "THE shortcut" - at around 4000'. The old route was largely level and wound around to a lovely natural bench formation, whereas the route that replaced it was much steeper and, if you will, probably more in keeping with the nature of the rest of the trail. I really liked the old route - on many out and back trips I would go up to the flat, stop and enjoy the area for a while, wandering around and exploring, and then head down. The shortcut became the new main trail and I would bet that many have not ever even seen that old route. So Skyline is ever in a state of flux. I am hoping that, as Walt postulated many moons ago, the route with the broadest appeal would eventually become the main, accepted, and pretty much unique route. Perhaps if it becomes clear enough no more yahoos will find it necessary to guide those of us who actually know the trail. I guess we'll see how that pans out...

By the way, I haven't been out that way for a while. Is the lower section still in the excellent shape that it was right after being restored?

z
zippetydude

Postby guest » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:13 am

That's funny Zip, I also really hate sticky hands!

I do appreciate your taking the high road regarding these folks motive, (maybe it's true, although no one's gps is accurate to the foot, 5009ft?).

I do agree re. the route & it's evolution. I've spoken many times with Doreen on this as well, (& Cynthia has expressed it too), that the old route should be preserved, as much as possible, considering some of it's overgrown after last winter rains. Maybe some of us can hike small sections here & there, (I'm not up much lately, busy w/ work), but those that do check this board may be willing to chip in.
You make a good point about some highlights of the old trail, including the numerous times it heads south for great views into Tahquitz drainage, (on a quite day in spring, you can here the waterfalls gushing).
And, surprise, surprise, you'll feel better & possibly get to the top quicker, but NOT taking some of the "new route" sections. Unless your pretty darn fit & used to long, steep climbs, most burn themselves out, expending needless energy to take many of these. And, as you mentioned, many aren't even aware their doing this, as the new route looks like the main trail in lots of spots.
I usually remove sticks & markers directing climbers onto the steeper, non-main trail cuts, as this just perpetuates the loss of the original route.

Happy hiking, ss

Postby Pyrodude » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:55 am

Folks, I went up yesterday. I was incensed, and I don't mean like a religious service! Words can't convey how pissed it made me. The idiot used a horrific day glo lime green paint, and used it early and often. He placed (I use "he" because I cannot imagine a lady performing these atrocities) at least 5 huge "point the way" arrows from ~ 2000 ft to ~ 5000 ft. He also painted "5 mi" and "7 mi". His piece de resistance was atop the red mountain where he affixed a huge "5006 ft". I attacked that one yesterday with Pro Strength Goof Off and a wire brush with significant success. Nasty liquid, hard work. I should have also brought some Playtex kitchen gloves. Make no mistake, this fool has committed a huge assault on the beautiful trail, and he needs to be found out and made to understand he must never ever consider showing up on any trail again with a can of spray paint.

I need to edit to add that 3 of the big green arrows are sprayed onto granite surfaces, and 2 or 3 are applied onto red rock. 2 different color cover up paints will be necessary to get all the arrows if that technique is opted for.
Last edited by Pyrodude on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pyrodude

Postby guest » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:30 am

Thanks for the info & hard work Pyrodude,

I agree, that this selfish, idiotic behavior is beyond most of our comprehension. Seems many look at a challenge like Skyline as nothing more that a tough climb to attempt with their buddies, and damn the trail, other users or the wilderness, I'm coming to show me little ego I can kick this mts. ass. Their parents may have been similarly selfish & ego-eccentric, still no excuse.

As it appears most, (if not all) are in State park jurisdiction, (some may even be considering wilderness, a higher designation, I believe), this can be considered a crime.
I've been told folks that brings dogs into this state park, w/ out proper Real Service Dog papers, (not comfort / companion), can face a $500 fine, (not verified).

It's tough to catch someone like this, (who cares little for anyone but themselves, (maybe even snickering as they read this), knowing they got away with defacing a truly beautiful, magical area & route that many of us have hiker over 30 years. But, there are many "eyes" on the mt. from watching folks park & head up the trail, to tram & state park folks, regular users, bar tenders & the general public to assist with reporting any illegal activity.

Since Skyline season is upon us, let's spread the word to keep an eye out, and, if your able, tackle one spot like Pyrodude did.
ss

Postby 2600fromatari » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:41 am

I went up last week and didn't see any of this stuff but saw it yesterday. I think whoever this is, is doing it on several trips. I saw the arrows pyrodude was talking about. Mile markers are also placed every mile. I saw several on the way down that I missed on the way up. For example there's a 2 mile marker painted into the red rocks on the switchbacks between the old big horn sheep closure sign and the rescue 1 box. It would next to impossible to catch such a person and the trail was extremely crowded yesterday.
2600fromatari

Postby Ellen » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Howdy All :)

First of all, thanks so much to my friend Pyrodude for working on the graffiti.

I was also on Skyline yesterday with Marilyn, Kalen and Sandy. We're concerned that whoever is doing this has gone back up and repainted the rocks. Kalen noted new green paint over the rocks that Pyrodude had cleaned :evil:

Wish we could catch the !@#$% in the act and spray the jerk green with their own paint :twisted:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains