Recent San Jacinto backpack

General Palm Springs area.

Recent San Jacinto backpack

Postby Ellen » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Howdy All,

Sally and I backpacked up to Little Round Valley for our first night. A bit before reaching the Marion Mt. trail junction, we heard an extremely loud "CRACK' and turned around to see the horrifying sight of a pine tree crashing onto the trail between us. There was no warning which was very scary. We camped at Thunderview in LRV and were able to filter water at LRV. The next day, we went cross country up to Newton-Drury peak, crossed Bed Springs and headed up the ridge to the beautiful plateau (which I call the Hikin' Jim plateau) east of Joycie Peak. After setting up camp, we went back to Bed Springs and filtered water. From that point, we were content to hang out and just "be" rather than bagging any more peaks. Next day, we went to the little saddle between Marion and Mt. Ellen (the Rockpile), dropped packs and head up. We signed the register box and enjoyed the gorgeous views -- it was a beautiful fall day. After saddling up, we took our time route finding to get back to Deer Springs trail. On our past two trips, we wound up in the Deer Springs drainage, lowering ourselves down rocks and fighting our way through chest high folage. Third time was the charm -- after channeling Hikin" Jim, we found a hassle free route back to the trail. Enjoyed a great dinner at the Lumberyard in Idywild before heading home.

Photos by Sally:

The infamous tree.

Sally at our camp in LRV.

Views from Hikin' Jim plateau on our second day.

Sunset on Hikin" Jim plateau.

View of San Gorgonio from Mt Ellen

Sally looking down from Mt. Ellen

The bloody blonde descending the Rockpile.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Recent San Jacinto backpack

Postby guest » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:50 pm

Great shots & nice bit of info on that area Ellen. What a stellar sunset! I'll have to journey over that way & check it out. Is that Lake Hemet in the background?
Did it dip into the 30'sF at that altitude, (9,700 ft.?).
ss

Re: Recent San Jacinto backpack

Postby Sally » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Hey ss, I think the lake is Diamond Valley Lake, also known as Domenogoni Resevoir. We had fair temps, even at night for this time of year. I got a little chilly in the tent because I brought my Big Agnes warm weather sleeping pad. It will be MUCH colder this coming week. Unfortunately there is no precipitation in the forecast.

Thanks for the great trip report, Ellen! It was another fabulous and memorable trip with my hiking sister! I wonder what our next overnight adventure will be! I hope to get a new Exped insulated sleeping pad soon so we can go snow camping again. Oh yeah...we need some SNOW!
Sally

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains