Newby Planning Hiking C2C in Early December but has doubts

General Palm Springs area.

Newby Planning Hiking C2C in Early December but has doubts

Postby seymayL » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:58 pm

My friend and I have been planning hiking C2C beginning of December (2nd or 8th), we both are first time hiker on this trail, but we do trainings and other long endurance hikes quite often.
Still this is so far the most difficult one we are planning doing.
One thing concerned me is the weather, we plan to start around 2-3am so we can avoid any possible heat after dawn. But I am worried about the snow situation at the peak. I checked the historical temperature but not sure what snow/ice would be like at the peak during early December.

Is C2C still doable without involving mountaineering typically during the first 2 weeks of December?

Thanks!!!
seymayL

Re: Newby Planning Hiking C2C in Early December but has doub

Postby Ed » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:18 am

I see no concerns about heat in December. If you do the full C2C, you will surely be hiking in the dark, either going up or coming down, depending on your starting time. Perhaps both. Snow conditions are not predictable, but there is usually not much snow in early December. Trekking poles, ankle-high boots, microspikes, low gaiters, and convertible or long pants will probably be fine. Could be very cold and windy above the tram.

I am always amazed at people who plan to do the full C2C the first time. But I guess there is no harm, since the tram gives you a bail-out.
Ed

Postby seymayL » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:36 am

Ed wrote:I see no concerns about heat in December. If you do the full C2C, you will surely be hiking in the dark, either going up or coming down, depending on your starting time. Perhaps both. Snow conditions are not predictable, but there is usually not much snow in early December. Trekking poles, ankle-high boots, microspikes, low gaiters, and convertible or long pants will probably be fine. Could be very cold and windy above the tram.

I am always amazed at people who plan to do the full C2C the first time. But I guess there is no harm, since the tram gives you a bail-out.

Thank you Ed!
For sure we'll read weather forecast before we go.
I am a little bit anxious about full C2C first time too.. But we don't have the luxury of running to Palm Spring multiple times to train :D :D :D
Wish us luck! After all I can do C2T which is not bad at all too!
seymayL

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:03 am

Seems to me the best of all possible times to go, other than late November. There might be snow but the more concerning issue is ice and that's far less likely so early in the winter. So I say go for it. Monitor your time/fatigue levels on the C2T portion. If you are not doing well turn back before 4500. People who keep slowly going with heavy fatigue tend to bonk around 6k and then are not able to self-rescue (i.e. turn back and walk down.) Then their only option is to call for help. So monitor yourself and your friend carefully for things like dizziness, nausea, head aches, muscle cramps, high heart rate, etc. (I know, now all the smart alecks are gonna say that sounds like a normal C2C) Okay, so some degree of physical misery is normal but if it get severe take heed.

Otherwise enjoy :wink:
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains