Hiking Fools Get Together

General Palm Springs area.

Hiking Fools Get Together

Postby Ellen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:55 am

Howdy All :)

I recently realized that our forum hasn't had a get together since 2013 :o

A bit of history -- in 2007, folks got together at the mountain tram station and enjoyed potluck, chilled beverages and camaraderie. In the past ten years, we've had several more, usually at the tram station.

I've really enjoyed these get-togethers to chat with people I don't normally see. As an example -- Cynthia, Z-dude, Hikin' Jim and Joycie, Grandmaster Perry, Crystal and Lily. etc.

We could do this in the late summer/early fall at the mountain tram station. Thus, those who want to hike from the tram or go up Skyline can create a calorie deficit before the potluck :lol:

So, who is interested?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Hiking Fools Get Together

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 pm

I have always enjoyed the get-togethers and would be happy to see another one take place. I like your idea of the fall so that anyone who wants to could include a Skyline trip, and I think the top of the tram has always proven to be the most convenient location to meet. Any Saturday or Sunday in October would be great and would allow plenty of advance notice so that the date could be saved. Sounds like fun Ellen!

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Sounds good to me.

Wow! Was the first time all the way back in 2007!? That's the era commonly dated as P.J. by historians and anthropologists (Pre-Joyce). In other words, ancient history from another lifetime. ;)

Hey, anybody hear from Walt lately? I still remember his BBQ. Amazing.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Sally » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:09 pm

I am very much looking forward to a Hiking Fools' Get-together! October is one of my favorite times of the year in the mountains, right up there with November (Skyline), December (snowshoe), January (snowshoe), well, you get it...
Sally

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:19 am

What a great idea! I'd love to come. Anytime in the fall works for me except the week of September 17 through 21. October is good.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Ed » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:04 am

Will make it, if I have no major conflict. Legal counsel has advised me that this does not imply that I have accepted the characterization in the title of this post.
Ed

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Ed wrote:Will make it, if I have no major conflict. Legal counsel has advised me that this does not imply that I have accepted the characterization in the title of this post.

:D

In case the reference isn't clear, take a look at the last 10 seconds of this clip from Forrest Gump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuU63loZmHg

Hence "Hikin' Fools"! 8)

z
zippetydude

Postby zippetydude » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Just bumpin' this back up.

Cynthia, the tram is closed during the September dates you listed, so no worries. It will be fun to see you again since we haven't talked face to face since you gave me directions on my very first Skyline!

HJ, you're killin' me with those beautiful pics on FB of your Sierra escapades. All of the lakes, all of them, call to me. And that little fawn is so precious. One of my favorite memories out in the Sierra is seeing a doe and two tiny fawns, each one not much bigger than a house cat. By the way, check your left hand and make sure you haven't left your ring behind at one of the lakes!

Ellen, did you get my happy birthday message? I'm new at the FB thing and not sure I'm doing it right. In any case, what date do you want to nail down for October?

z
zippetydude

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks for 'reawakening' this post, Zip. I'm open to most dates in October, although I will be out of town Oct 7 through 11th. However, if it happens that that weekend is the only time the rest of you can make it, by all means schedule it then and I'll be with you in spirit. The rest of October looks pretty good for me.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Ellen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 am

Howdy All :)

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone who can attend the get-together 8)

How about the weekend of October 28-29? Saturday or Sunday?

Usually we meet at the picnic area in Long Valley about 2 PM. This gives folks time to do a tram hike or Skyline.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains