Spot, Phones and GPS are Threats

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Spot, Phones and GPS are Threats

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Wildhorse. I hope I didn't come across as being against your opinion. I find this an interesting topic and I actually appreciate all the different angles that it takes on. And, by the way, I truly appreciate anyone who has as much zeal for protecting the wilderness as you do. I'll go back and take a closer look at the articles. :)

z
zippetydude

Postby Wildhorse » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi Z, btw, I am with you and Van Gogh. And I love Helen Keller's, "Security is superstition." These are surely wilderness sentiments.

My own view is this:

I think it is worth pondering the idea of leaving electronic security in civilization, along with other electronic contrivances, on days spent in wilderness. Evolution has selected us for wilderness. I suggest moving slowly and cautiously, but surely, into risk, rather than using electronics.

I have had the good fortune to hike with people with much more skill than me. They carry no electronics. Nor even maps. They read the land and the sky. It is enough for them. I am not quite there myself. But I am trying and making some progress. Of course, without question, if you get hurt and cannot get help, all is over. It helps to hike with friends who are at home in wilderness.

Experiencing wilderness on its own terms, with a measure of caution but without contrivance, is worth it, and does not threaten wilderness because that way is the wild way.
Wildhorse

Postby Ed » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Ed wrote:I suspect Ellen is pleased to know that she does not have the maximum number of SAR's here.
Well, at least I'm keeping them down to less than one per decade. :lol: :roll:

HJ

Good return, HJ. I'm throwing away my racket.
Ed

Postby Ellen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm

zippetydude wrote:That being said, I don't always take my Spot with me on every outing. I crashed on my mountain bike back in March, broke 4 ribs and was knocked unconscious. When I woke up I was coherent enough to find my way back, although it was difficult at first because the left side of my field of vision was glowing purple spots. First time I've "seen stars". Still, I would not have activated my Spot, even if I had it with me, unless I found myself incapacitated. I think most people who actually have to get rescued are not only doing so legitimately, but they are the exact people that SAR and other rescue organizations exist to serve. z

My dear friend YIKES and OUCH :o I am so sorry :( I had no idea and hope your recovery is going well.

From the heart,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Howdy HJ :)

Like Z, I greatly appreciate your honesty. The good news -- on the "embarrassment meter" :oops: you'll have to go a long way to go to surpass me :wink:

Howdy All :)

I owe my life to RMRU, my family and this forum when rescued in Feb 2008 after my snowshoe misadventure (no SPOT or cell phone). Details: viewtopic.php?t=663

Used SPOT for 2009 multiday Sierra day backpack in 2009 to check in with family and friends.

Used SPOT 2 for 2011 solo JMT hike to reassure family and friends -- the snow levels on the high passes and dangerous stream crossings were similar to this year. Also used it on the 2013 JMT, multiday day backpacks and Europe treks to check in.

In Dec 2015, I broke my shoulder when I fell on the "root of all evil" descending Icehouse canyon. I did not use my SPOT or cell phone -- Saint Sally helped me hike out and get to the ER. Details:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5434

Jan 25, 2017 -- I climbed up a snowy/icy route on Baldy that I could not down-climb and was rescued via helo hoist after activating 911 on my SPOT 3. I was extremely embarrassed but folks urged me to write up the incident for educational purposes. This was a mistake -- I was castigated by the misogynists and trolls on SummitPost. Several weeks later, my 93 year old mom died. Based on the advice from respected friends (including many from this forum), I did not engage (e.g. feed) the trolls on SummitPost.

I agree with Sister Sally, " If you feel that folks who run into problems deserve to die, don't try to engage me. I won't reply."

From the heart.
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Ed wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:
Ed wrote:I suspect Ellen is pleased to know that she does not have the maximum number of SAR's here.
Well, at least I'm keeping them down to less than one per decade. :lol: :roll:

HJ

Good return, HJ. I'm throwing away my racket.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note, until Jan this year :roll: my 2008 rescue was the most embarrassing situation I've ever experienced. In the ER, the PR director for Desert Regional said that all three major networks wanted to interview me. I said absolutely not :oops: As ecstatic as I was to be rescued, I was also mortified and wanted to be inconspicuous.

One of these days I really will wear a brown paper bag over my head and be the "unknown hiker." Thanks, SNL :wink:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby zippetydude » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:02 pm

[quote="Ellen"][/quote]

My dear friend YIKES and OUCH :o I am so sorry :( I had no idea and hope your recovery is going well.

I'm much better now. Thanks for your concern!

By the way, I'm surprised that you felt embarrassed after the Ski Hut incident. You had a broken leg and are still with us only because it happened close to shelter. There was no error in judgment that brought the incident on, just a slip in the snow on a mountainside. Somehow, it seems less embarrassing if you're already injured. If I ever have to get rescued I'm going to at least fake it with some scrapes on my arms and I'll put some dirt in my hair and on my cheek to make it look like a near miss!

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:56 pm

zippetydude wrote: If I ever have to get rescued I'm going to at least fake it with some scrapes on my arms and I'll put some dirt in my hair and on my cheek to make it look like a near miss!

z

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Z-dude, I'm so glad you're recovering from your fractured ribs and head injury.

I am blessed with your friendship.

From the heart,

The Unknown Hiker :wink:
Ellen

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains