Conditions at Little Round Valley

General Palm Springs area.

Conditions at Little Round Valley

Postby Steven DrB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm new to this forum, but have been to Mt. San Jacinto several times.
Can anybody please tell me about current conditions at Little Round Valley? We plan to backpack up there tomorrow (Friday, July 7).
As far as I understand, the road to the Fuller Ridge TH is in good condition and know there's water in the spring a mile from LRV (down near the junction). The big question: is there water up by the campground?
I've only been to LRV once, in June 2011, and that was a high snow year, too. There were pretty big snow banks up by the campground and the little creek was flowing very well. However, I know that was a month earlier in the year.
Here are pictures from that trip: http://yourownhike.com/pics/sanjacinto2011jun/index.php?origin=public
Any information would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Steven DrB

Re: Conditions at Little Round Valley

Postby whereamiimlost » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:42 am

Hey Stephen,

Hope you had a fun time... I'm actually scheduled to camp there on 7/15.

I was wondering if there was a creek close by camp or if you had to rely on sources further southwest along deer spring trail. Also - were there any reliable sources along the PCT if you went along there at all?
whereamiimlost

Postby dmr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:41 pm

A little late for your trip, but as you saw, there is plenty of water on the western approach and in Little Round Valley. Wellmans Cienega and the upper spring on Devil's Slide were also flowing on July 10th.
dmr

Postby Steven DrB » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:11 am

Yepp, I posted this a bit too late, but to answer my own question, yes, there was plenty of water at LRV. The little creek was flowing nicely as of July 8.

Quick trip report: the dirt road is in great condition, we made it up to the Fuller Ridge TH in about 40 minutes with our low-clearance 2WD sedan.
There was a brief rain shower with a bit of hail for about 5 minutes and a very light drizzle for another 10 minutes when we were around the PCT/peak trail junction. Just enough to get the ponchos wet.
We camped at LRV and took a nap in the afternoon, then hiked up to the peak, arriving just after sunset. Great views. For the few times I've been there, this was by far the warmest. There was barely any wind at the peak and even after it got dark it could not have dropped much below 50. When returning to camp at 11pm, it was still at least 55 at LRV.

Here are pictures:
http://yourownhike.com/pics/sanjacinto2017jul/index.php?origin=public

Note: like always, we found several illegal fire pits and quite a lot of trash. T-shirts (!), food wrappers, an empty gas canister, etc. We removed what we could. Please guys, respect the wilderness, don't leave anything and don't make illegal fires!
Steven DrB

Postby guest » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:24 am

Nice photos Steven, looks like you had a great time, spring is happening now up there!
I've also found a bit more trash around the summit & other areas, now that it's hot & the mtns are the place many want to be.

ss

Postby zippetydude » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 am

Nice touch arriving at the peak at sunset. Probably had the place to yourselves once night fell. I'm glad to hear the little stream is flowing, it really adds to how pretty LRV is during the years when it flows. BTW, you're probably preaching to the choir about trash, etc. Most regulars here are already in your camp, so to speak, and do a lot of cleaning up as well. No matter how I look at it, I can still never understand why people would trash the place up. I understand the temptation of making a campfire - it's fun and adds to the experience where it's safe and legal. But leaving trash everywhere? What kind of a slob does that? I just don't get it. :roll: Anyway, thanks for helping out up there and for posting the cool pics!

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Howdy Steven,

Thanks so much for your wonderful pictures and for picking up the trash.

Regarding people who leave trash and vandalize !@#$% :evil:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains