Fuller Ridge Trail Head Access

General Palm Springs area.

Fuller Ridge Trail Head Access

Postby jfr » Mon May 29, 2017 5:37 pm

It's time to head out and hike the prettiest trail on the mountain!

Black Mountain Truck Trail (Forest Route 4S01) is in excellent shape as of Memorial Day 2017. We had absolutely no trouble driving our sedan (Toyota Corolla) up the road, as it appeared to be freshly plowed. The bad section that I barely made it over last October has been repaired. I was a bit nervous after all those storms last winter, but it is now in the best shape I've ever seen (not that I'm an expert).

We checked out the fire tower on Black Mountain, then day-hiked along the PCT (Fuller Ridge Trail) and bagged Castle Rocks, which had some great views. There were only a few rare patches of snow left on the north-facing slopes, and only five feet of trail had snow on it. By next weekend that part will be gone, as plenty of PCT Through-Hikers are walking on it every day.
My (collected) trip reports: http://hikingtales.com/
jfr

Re: Fuller Ridge Trail Head Access

Postby guest » Tue May 30, 2017 6:40 am

Thanks for the update Jfr on this road, (that is usually is bad shape in places).
It's nice to not have to drive all the way to Idyllwild if coming up Hwy 243, (although it's always a good after-hike place to eat.

cheers, ss
Btw, Is the fire tower / lookout along the trail?

Postby jfr » Tue May 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Black Mountain Fire Tower can be accessed by turning left toward the Boulder Basin Campground. Park there and hike up the gated road a half mile or so to the tower. It was open when we were there, so we got to go inside, thanks to the volunteers who stay there. Summer weekends would be your best bet for finding it open.

See this Sierra Club Topo Map: http://caltopo.com/m/0K70
jfr

Postby guest » Tue May 30, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for this, I may just check that out this summer when it hits 110! I've been to, (& inside) the Tahquitz Lookout, but here the Black Mt. one has equally good views.
I suppose you need an Advtr / parking pass there, do you know if there's a self-issue Kiosk board the get a permit, like Marion Mt. does, I believe. This would keep from having to drive to Idy.

Happy hiking, ss

Postby Sally » Tue May 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks, jfr! My little red Corolla will be making the trip up the road soon! Then I will be making the trip up Fuller Ridge to San J Peak!
Sally

Postby Sally » Tue May 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Hey ss,
My understanding is that, technically, due to a recent ruling, in order for an Adventure pass to be required, the parking area has to have some specific facilities. One of these is a permanent toilet (not a port-a-potty), and amenities such as picnic tables. Fuller Ridge trailhead does not have a brick and mortar potty! I can't say this is the gospel truth, so look into it.
Sally

Postby zippetydude » Tue May 30, 2017 11:05 pm

It is my understanding that they don't even bother trying to enforce it any more and it will soon be nothing more than a memory. While I am normally against any fees that ultimately discourage use (like the Adventure pass or hiking the Indian Canyons) I have to admit that often when you encounter fees you also encounter a cleaner wilderness. I don't know if that is because they can afford to pay people to regularly clean it up or if people willing to pay $$$ also value the place where they are paying to go. Either way, I hope we can continue to find nice clean streams and trails even if the pass does go away.

z
zippetydude

Postby jfr » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:44 pm

guest wrote:I suppose you need an Advtr / parking pass there, do you know if there's a self-issue Kiosk board the get a permit, like Marion Mt. does, I believe. This would keep from having to drive to Idy.

Looks like you may have to drive to get that hiking permit, as there are no self-issue permits at the Fuller Ridge Trailhead.
LIke Sally said, you don't need an adventure pass for your car as there are no facilities there.

However, Black Mountain (Boulder Basin Campground) has toilets/facilities that would require a pass if you use them.
jfr

Postby guest » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'll contact the ranger sta., (now I can't remember if that area is state, (not NF?).
Looks like the tram may be down for another 3 weeks in Sept. (instead of the shorter closure, all though it's always tentative), so that will be a time of making the drive up in that area.
FYI, if you haven't read the thread on the Idyllwild bear here, you may want to keep you car clean, just in case.
ss

Postby Florian » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:45 am

guest wrote:Thanks for all the info. I'll contact the ranger sta., (now I can't remember if that area is state, (not NF?).

The Black Mtn road and Fuller Ridge trailhead are federal land. However about a mile up the trail you enter state wilderness so that's the hiking/camping permit you would want. Although for day hiking i believe either fed or state permits are acceptable.

-Florian
Florian

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains