"The Onion"?

General Palm Springs area.

"The Onion"?

Postby lmzjordan » Tue May 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Hello I was wondering about a rock formation/hike located off of I-10, up in the San Jacintos. Someone called it The Onion, and wondered if anyone knew of the access to it and the best way. You can see it from the from the freeway, more on the western, face of the mountain.
lmzjordan

Re: "The Onion"?

Postby drndr » Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 am

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Re: "The Onion"?

Postby zippetydude » Wed May 24, 2017 9:44 pm

Hah! I think about that adventure every time I drive past on the I-10. There are roughly 4 possible access points. One is the way I did it. Another would be to start in a bit east of the Cabazon route I took and go almost directly up to the rock itself. A third would be coming down from Black Mountain Truck Trail, and the last would be to possibly come in from the Twin Pines area which they used to keep under tight police control since there was a juvenile detention facility up there. They closed that facility so it's possible (though unlikely, since the county might then incur costs or liability as a result) that you could simply drive up to within a mile of the base of the rock and just walk up. This would be, by far, the preferred route. I don't know of anyone else who has been there...it was quite the adventure to make it happen. I hope you'll post and keep us informed about how it works out. If you find an easier way, I'd love to try it out.

z
zippetydude

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains