Deer springs to tram water and camping conditions?

General Palm Springs area.

Deer springs to tram water and camping conditions?

Postby Igw » Mon May 15, 2017 4:40 pm

A buddy and I are heading up this weekend for a quick overnighter. We're starting at deer springs, making our way through PCT and camping at little round. Next morning, peak, then down the tram. I was just wondering what we're looking at as far as water sources, and if there is still snow on the ground at little round? Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Igw

Re: Deer springs to tram water and camping conditions?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon May 15, 2017 10:05 pm

You might want to take a look at my San Jacinto Mountains Interactive Map. If you follow the Deer Springs Trail up to about 1/2 a mile before Little Round Valley, you'll see Upper Bed Springs Crossing* marked on the map. There is always reliable water here. There's typically also going to be water at Joyce Spring, Deer Springs, and Lilly Spring this time of year. There may even be water at Little Round Valley itself, but I'm not sure. I haven't been up recently.

HJ

*Each water source has a roman numeral after its name, a I through a V with I being the least reliable and V being the most reliable.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Igw » Tue May 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Awesome. Thanks. I'll have to check that out
Igw

Postby GoPlayer » Tue May 16, 2017 2:37 pm

This past Sunday there was water running at all the places Hiking Jim listed and then some. Stretches of the switchbacks above the Fuller Ridge junction feel like walking in a little creek. There are more sections of trail before LRV where water was running on the trail. It's been the first time in many years that I can remember seeing a nice creek in LRV itself. There is still snow on the ground in LRV, but there are also plenty of dry spots (see pic for an idea of LRV conditions).

LRV_creek_snow.jpg
GoPlayer

Postby Igw » Tue May 16, 2017 2:42 pm

SWEET!! Yeah, I was up there last year around this time and it (at least the west side) was almost completely dry.
Igw

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains