Best Summit/camping experence Guidence Wanted

General Palm Springs area.

Best Summit/camping experence Guidence Wanted

Postby Miles C. » Thu May 04, 2017 2:25 am

Hey climbing community. Me and a few pals are planning on trying to summit this Saturday spend the night and descend on Sunday. I was wondering what would be the best rout to take trail wise to have a relatively adventurous exhilarating experience and not have to rope up. We have general mountaineering ice axes and micro spikes. Also what is an awesome place to pitch a tent this time of year. what campsite offers the best views on rout. lastly is a summit bid from the tram worth it or is it way over trafficked?
Miles C.

Re: Best Summit/camping experence Guidence Wanted

Postby Sally » Thu May 04, 2017 2:53 pm

One of my favorite one-night overnighters in the San Jacintos is to hike the Deer Springs Trail to Little Round Valley (not to be confused with Round Valley on the tram side. Once camp is set up you can easily hike to the Peak for a spectacular sunset (bring your headlamps), If you are totally done in from hiking to LRV, get a good night's sleep, get up before sunrise and head to the Peak and enjoy a magnificent sunrise in solitude. Or do both! It is about an hours hike from Little Round Valley to San Jacinto Peak, one-way.

BTW, check the weather report, I think there is a chance of snow(!) and thunder around the Peak this weekend. The only special equipment you may want are optional microspikes. Leave your axes at home.
Sally

Re: Best Summit/camping experence Guidence Wanted

Postby pkirkham » Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Ya might wanna rethink your trip this weekend, check out the weather report for the peak:
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/3293
There will be plenty of good weather ahead!!!
pkirkham

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains