Traverse Conditions April 20

General Palm Springs area.

Traverse Conditions April 20

Postby CasparHarmer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi,
I'm an experienced backcountry runner from New Zealand who will be in the area around April 20. I'm worried that there will still be significant Snow/Ice on the traverse - What are the conditions likely to be like? I'm a confident map reader and am fit enough to hike the C2C, but I'm not really keen to do it if there will be a lot of ice around.
Caspar
CasparHarmer

Re: Traverse Conditions April 20

Postby SoGoodSummits » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:49 am

When I did C2C on 4/9/17, the traverse and Grubb's notch were almost completely snow-free. There was a TON of snow above 8500 feet. Many folks were summiting without traction, but I was grateful for my crampons.

The meltout between 4/9 and 4/20 should be pretty significant.
Last edited by SoGoodSummits on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoGoodSummits

Postby SoGoodSummits » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:51 am

When I did C2C on 4/9/17, the traverse and Grubb's notch were almost completely snow-free. There was a TON of snow above 8500 feet. Many folks were summiting without traction, but I was grateful for my crampons.

The meltout between 4/9 and 4/20 should be pretty significant.
SoGoodSummits

Postby neverwashasbeen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:19 pm

I did Skyline yesterday. There are still some patches of icy snow on the traverse, nothing more than about 100 feet. Half of the folks wore microspikes and half wore no traction devices. The snow is melting fast and you should be fine without any by the 20th.
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Postby CasparHarmer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll keep an eye on the weather and maybe take some microspikes with me just in case. Looking forward to it! Oh, anyone who wants to do it with me... I'll be starting at the Museum 4AM, Friday April 21. Caspar
CasparHarmer

Postby Ellen » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Howdy All :)

Hiked Skyline yesterday with Marilyn. It's warming up in the desert even with a 6 am start. No clouds and hardly any breeze. Rescue 2 does not have any water.

At the traverse, a group of Canadians caught up with us. We carried microspikes but didn't need them. Only went off route once due to snow, which was good as the Canadians were following us. Enjoyed celebratory beverages at the tram. The Canadians kindly paid for the van back to the parking structure.

A Good Friday Skyline.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby bytebit » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:18 am

Hi. I did the Skyline to the Tram last Thursday, the 13th and never had to use microspikes from the Traverse onward to Grubbs Notch. As Ellen said, the ice/snow on the trail is likely history by now. However, be mindful of the rising temperatures. I went through most of my usual 3 liters of water. Speaking of water, I've notice that no water exist in Box 2 (5400ft). As of now, there is a group going up on Wed. early morning (I personally know the leader) and I will ask every one of them if they do not mind taking up a bottle of water each to leave in Box 2.

Have a safe hike! David
Life is too short - make the most of your day!
bytebit

Postby steveWhite » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Hey Casper
I'm visiting from Vancouver, Canada and am an experienced uphill hiker. I'd love a partner for this event. I'm looking to go Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Depending on how fast you go up apparently the temp can stay the same--and then cools. I'm getting some info from a buddy I hike with who did it three weeks ago. I'm ditching the microspikes. Sounds like they're no longer needed and who wants the extra weight? Lol.

Feel free reach out to me at Steve.White@TELUS.com

Cheers
Steve
steveWhite

Postby steveWhite » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Hey Caspar

I'm visiting Palm Springs at the moment and would like to join your 4 am Friday adventure

I'm an experienced uphill hiker. I have a ski hill / tram / steep trail right by my home in Vancouver, Canada.
My buddy did this hike a few weeks ago. He got to the Lodge in 6:45 which he said was really taking it very easy.

Are you still going?

Cheers
Steve
steveWhite

Postby steveWhite » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks to all for the current conditions and great advice.

I made it in 5 hours with a heavy pack. 5 litres of water and only drank 2.5. Lol.

Starting near 4 am was a GREAT idea. This took all the heat out of the event. Nice.

I passed a group who started at 2 am and were carrying on to San J Oeak. They were fully loaded with gear.

Special call out to David for his helpful email and GOX tracks.

PS Only stepped on snow two steps. It's all gone.

Cheers
Steve
steveWhite

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains