Current Trail Conditions for Tram to Summit Route

General Palm Springs area.

Current Trail Conditions for Tram to Summit Route

Postby SteveS » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Just a quick check to see if anybody has very current knowledge of trail conditions from the tram to the summit of San Jacinto. We hope to head up Friday. Will we need crampons? Snowshoes? Is the trail well defined or a mish-mash of trails through the snow. I haven't done a winter ascent of San Jacinto in many years and appreciate any current insight that you have.

Thanks!
SteveS

Re: Current Trail Conditions for Tram to Summit Route

Postby Ellen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Howdy SteveS :-)

I have not done the winter route from the tram to the summit of San Jacinto since March 26 (about two weeks ago). At that time, the Sid Davis Drainage was a mess -- part dirt, part snow. In upper Tamarack valley, we donned snowshoes. The snow wasn't great -- alternated between icy and slushy.

Several friends went up on Friday (yesterday) and wrote: "[We]...hiked Sid Davis and the Winter route to just below the Peak and the snow conditions are thawing underneath rapidly, and I broke thru the snow twice to the chinquapin below. The second time I went up to my hips. I would advise anyone to use snowshoes at this time when needed otherwise you may risk an injury."

In such snow conditions, I've broken through even with snowshoes and I weigh 124 lb.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains