Best route to snowshoe / ski from tram to summit?

General Palm Springs area.

Best route to snowshoe / ski from tram to summit?

Postby tcamis01 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Hello. First post here! I'm having some trouble finding information on the winter routes up San Jacinto. First let me state that I'm an experienced mountaineer and will just bring crampons, rope, axe, screws, gps, maps, etc on whatever route I choose if I can't find enough information. But I'm wondering if there is any route that would be suitable to bring some some friends who just want to snowshoe to the top. Specifically, are there any routes that are < 30 degree slopes so we don't have to worry about avy danger and could perhaps ski down? From looking at summitpost, it seems round valley may work.

Thanks for any info,
Tim
tcamis01

Re: Best route to snowshoe / ski from tram to summit?

Postby Norris » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi Tim, there is no avalanche hazard on the customary route (or its variations) from tram to summit currently. The route is fine for novice snowshoers. You definitely don't need rope or ice screws! You don't really need an ice axe or crampons either, just trekking poles and good snow shoes. Snow shoes with elevator bars are helpful. I can provide .gpx files from some recent trips if you like.
Norris

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:45 pm

Howdy Tim :)

I do not have a GPS track of the winter route from the tram up to San Jacinto. However, whenever I head up the tram to snowshoe, there are skiers and snowboarders. Hopefully, someone on the board can post a GPS track.

Winter route: Round valley trail to Sid Davis drainage to Tamarack Valley > upper Tamarack to base of Miller then go left (west) to base of Miller saddle > north up to Miller saddle > north side of ridge to San Jacinto peak. Numerous ski routes down -- I head back down the same route.

Hope this helps.

Howdy Norris :)

Perfect timing -- please post a gps track for Tim, thanks.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby tcamis01 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks for the info! Yeah a gpx track would be great if you have one. Sounds like it should be a great time up there.
tcamis01

Postby Norris » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi Tim, if you send me a PM on this website with your email, I'll send you the .gpx file. It's from last Sunday. I would post it here, but you can't upload files to mtsanjacinto.info, only post links to files elsewhere, and I don't maintain any Flickr or similar account to upload it to.
Norris

Postby zippetydude » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi Norris! Hey, I already know the route to the peak, but I just downloaded the Gaia app on my phone and I'm trying to learn how to import gpx files. I'll send you a pm with my email address...would you be so kind as to send me the gpx file so I can practice opening it in Gaia?

z
zippetydude

Postby Norris » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Of course z!
Norris

Postby Perry » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 pm

If it's less than a megabyte it should be able to upload here. There's a tab below the typing window.
A penny saved is greater than a penny earned because you don't have to pay taxes on it.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Norris » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi Perry, when I try to upload a .gpx file, it says "The extension gpx is not allowed"
Norris

Postby Perry » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:16 am

How about now? I added the .gpx extension to the allowed list.
A penny saved is greater than a penny earned because you don't have to pay taxes on it.
Perry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains