Skyline Conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Skyline Conditions

Postby Swordphish72 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:50 am

Summit rim I should say... :). It's a good conditioner for Rainier, so we like to hit it and Adams before June!
Swordphish72

Postby Swordphish72 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:51 pm

Thanks for all the advice! My buddy and I completed a successful C2C to the summit today. We went the normal route through the traverse, (up Grubbs Notch) using crampons and ice axe. No problems at all. It was actually more sketchy up top past Wellmans.
Swordphish72

Postby Ed » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:01 am

Swordphish72 wrote:Thanks for all the advice! My buddy and I completed a successful C2C to the summit today. We went the normal route through the traverse, (up Grubbs Notch) using crampons and ice axe. No problems at all. It was actually more sketchy up top past Wellmans.

I'm impressed. Nice to have a trip report from people who know what they are doing. Were there tracks all the way to Grubbs Notch? Would trekking poles and microspikes have been sufficient?
Ed

Postby Swordphish72 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:53 am

Ed wrote:
Swordphish72 wrote:Thanks for all the advice! My buddy and I completed a successful C2C to the summit today. We went the normal route through the traverse, (up Grubbs Notch) using crampons and ice axe. No problems at all. It was actually more sketchy up top past Wellmans.

I'm impressed. Nice to have a trip report from people who know what they are doing. Were there tracks all the way to Grubbs Notch? Would trekking poles and microspikes have been sufficient?

There were a few tracks up Grubs, however majority of tracks were seen going up notch 2. We followed gps track from last March. Two trail runners ahead of us only had Microspikes, so it is possible, however I wouldn't advise yet. Maybe in a week Microspikes ok. It's really starting to melt out up Grubs, dirt is present in spots. We were hiking in crampons over dirt and rocks in places.
Swordphish72

Postby Swordphish72 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:13 pm

Here are a few pics up Grubs and summit taken 3/28/17.

[url]
https://ibb.co/c11hJv
https://ibb.co/eBQnka
https://ibb.co/kAHBBF
https://ibb.co/e9AWBF
[/url]
Swordphish72

Postby Swordphish72 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Swordphish72

Postby Sally » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Congrats on the C2C, Swordphish72! Thank you for the great conditions report. I enjoyed the pics, too! I hope to make it up there soon (I haven't been up Skyline since November, before the Great Snow Dump of Winter 2017.)
Sally

Postby Ellen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Howdy All,

Went up Skyline today with Cameron, Marilyn, Kalen and Sophie. Lots of beautiful wildflowers and annoying cheat grass (fox tails) -- recommend wearing gaiters. Some of us donned microspikes at the beginning of the traverse. There was significantly less snow than 9 days ago and route finding was much easier. Thanks to whoever took care of the new downed tree above Flatrock.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby SoGoodSummits » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 am

I completed a successful C2C summit Sunday. I see that Ellen already reported on the conditions of the Skyline... really it was in pretty good shape. I saw lots of deer eyes reflecting back at me from my headlamp. I arrived at the traverse with my crampons and ice axe and felt wicked over-prepared. At this point, microspikes would have been plenty, and even then for just a snow crossing or two at the beginning. After that, it was all just my normal shoes going up Grubb's. 

That being said, conditions going up the peak made me grateful for my gear:
I ascended via the normal Mt. San Jacinto Peak trail. After the creek crossing, it was 99% snow the whole way. No problems with postholing with just crampons. I was about 200lbs with my dang over-prepared heavy pack. There were pretty good iced-in footprints the whole way...but many tracks deviate from the actual trail. I moved away from the tracks and followed my GPS's route and actually got to see the junction at Wellman's Divide. Rather than doing the last two switchbacks up the Peak, I just ascended via a chute and then along the ridge. 

I descended via Sid Davis and that was a little more sketchy with current snow melt. I punched through the top snow layer to bushes and branches a few times, but quickly learned what spots to avoid. There was one totally unexpected spot where I punched through deep and got a groin stretch. There is a lot less snow on the lower parts of this route. 

There were folks (who came up from the tram) who were hiking to the summit with no traction and no safety gear. It's definitely doable, but I wouldn't recommend it. Because I had my axe, I could descend some steep and icy slopes the fun way. There were also folks with snowshoes who looked happy enough. 
Nothing scary or surprising--only joy to report.
SoGoodSummits

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains