San Jacinto snowshoe between storms

General Palm Springs area.

San Jacinto snowshoe between storms

Postby Ellen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Howdy All,

Some hardy souls were able to sneak in a tramshoe yesterday (Saturday). We had a brief window between the Friday system and the current system pounding lower elevations with flooding rain and higher elevations with snow.

Thanks to all of the new snow, our track from last Saturday was obliterated. It was cold and windy, which we expected based the NWS and tram forecast. After obtaining permits, we headed out. Some folks broke the main trail into Round Valley, others headed up the left side of the Sid Davis drainage to Tamarack Valley (my group).

In addition to the wonderful snow, I had the incredible honor of snowshoeing with Dana Potts. Dana Potts, Rob May and the RMRU team heroes rescued me from the summit hut on the Monday after Superbowl weekend in February 2008. I love these folks.

The snow was much deeper yesterday than a week ago -- check out the loo in Tamarack.

Took the traditional winter route from Tamarack to the Miller Saddle.

Once at the Miller Saddle, we headed up the winter route to the peak. A wonderful couple from Oregon joined us and helped Kalen, Lorette and Kevin break trail. My primary role was navigator.

Thanks to the artic wind and snow facials, we didn't linger at the peak and headed down to the hut for lunch. Several folks (including me) goofed around on the top of the hut before goin inside for lunch. Thanks to Kevin for shoveling the snow out of the hut. On the way down the ridge, the wind was howling and blowing snow -- it was a relief to reach the Miller Saddle.

After enjoying Angel's Demise at the tram, we went to John's for dinner. Another Supernatural Day on San Jacinto. Thanks to all of the new snow, we'll be able to plow new again soon.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellen

Re: San Jacinto snowshoe between storms

Postby Ed » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:59 pm

I looked at the wind forecast, and wimped out. Perhaps next Friday or Saturday.

With this much snow, the Black Mountain Road might be a nice trip. We skied it during the winter of 77-78, it made for a nice ski tour. I would love to ski up it again, but with my wobbly left knee, I would probably do a Sonny Bono on the way down.

Has anyone seen these Altai skis? They look intriguing, something that fills the gap between snowshoes and conventional skis.
Ed

Postby zippetydude » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Ellen: Rats! I was on my way to make the first tram when I ran into car problems. Didn't get there til 11:00 and turned around when I saw the sign at the parking kiosk saying the wait was 2+ hours...it would have been fun to start catching up with the news from some hikin' fools. Also, taking a share of breaking trail would be good for getting this old body back in shape. BTW, absolutely beautiful pictures. With all this beautiful whiteness going on, we'll no doubt cross (or better yet, share) paths this winter. How many years ago was that two night stay in the hut? I still remember Kathy calling me and then beginning to pack, trying to make the tram before nightfall. Still wish a few of us could have gotten there at least to spend the night with you...that's the first place we were going to check...anyway, nice to hear that at least parts of the event are positive memories. See you soon!

Ed: Those look like a common sense sort of version that would work far better for a guy like me that is not prone to jumping into a somewhat more technical approach like xc skiing. Looking at the "bindings" made me smile. How simple yet functional. I may try out a rental if I can get up to Bishop or Truckee before the late spring/early summer thaw. With the snow this year there may be ample time to try it out.

Here's hoping the snow just keeps a coming!

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Howdy All.

Link to a video of us at the summit.

https://www.facebook.com/lorette.ulasic ... =2&theater

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains