Supernatural San Jacinto

General Palm Springs area.

Supernatural San Jacinto

Postby Ellen » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Howdy All :)

San Jacinto called:

Looking towards Divide peak while walking down the ramp.

Gazing towards Jean and San Jacinto while descending the cement switchbacks.

Marilyn, Larry, Kathryn, Kalen, Lorette and I donned snowshoes at the Ranger Station and started up the Sid Davis Drainage. A couple in front of us was breaking in the route to Tamarack. Kirk and his son Kevin joined us in the drainage. Turns out I met Kirk in 2011 when John Howell and I went up to Miller peak in a blizzard.

Once in Tamarack Valley, we discovered that other folks were following our track.

Kalen, Lorette, Larry and other strong folks broke trail from Tamarack up to 10 K below the Miller Switchback. I refer to this at the "staging area" -- we deployed our ascenders and started up towards the ridge. I looked down and saw a conga line of folks heading up behind us.

Once at the Miller Saddle, we took the winter route up the ridge to the summit.

Miracle Marilyn and Hengst Joe at the peak -- their combined ages are 150 years.

When there is adequate snow, I walk north a bit to get views of San Gorgonio and the Coachella Valley. No views but still gorgeous.

Looking back towards the summit -- hikers in the mist.

After a yummy lunch in the hut (Marilyn's awesome sandwiches and NO sardines :wink: ) we headed back down the ridge to the Miller Saddle.

Heading down from the Miller Saddle to Upper Tamarack.

Thanks to my favorite mountain and friends for a wonderful day. Best snow I've enjoyed on San Jacinto since 2011.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Supernatural San Jacinto

Postby Myth » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Those photos are gorgeous - not just because this long drought has starved me of seeing beautiful photos of fresh snow! They're just great, atmospheric photos. What a grand day to be out.
Myth

Postby Ellen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Howdy Myth :)

Thank you for your kind words. San Jacinto blessed us with an incredible day.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby guest » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Wow Ellen,
I'm major jealous, but at least I was able to "come along" on this stunning photo-shoe!
As others mentioned, haven't seen snow like this in years, with all the chinquapin covered, the clouds rolling in, just breath-taking, (in more ways than one, especially if you be breakin trail)! I remember the out-houses in Tam with only the last 2 ft. showing, how did the hut look, was it close to the west side roof?
Maybe now the creeks will run into summer! Think about takin a brisk dip in Carumba this spring, (oh, it's still closed, I believe, bummer).
happy snow trails, you polar bear! scott

Postby bytebit » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:30 am

Hi Ellen. Those photos are fantastic! They should be featured within the pages of National Geographic! I've never snowshoed before. I may give it a try. See you around, David
Life is too short - make the most of your day!
bytebit

Postby MrNizegy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:26 am

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. And more snow coming this weekend! :D Headed out Friday (during the snowfall) Hopefully it won't be too windy.
MrNizegy

Postby Sally » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Wow! AMAZING! Great photos, and great job at making it up to the top there, Ellen and all!

I just added up the hypothetical maximum daily snowfall on the NOAA site for the next several days, and, hypothetically (and hypothermically) the next storm could bring as much as 4 feet of snow. Maybe I should order tails for my snowshoes to make them longer for ludicrously deep powder!
Sally

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains