Thinking of doing Skyline on Sunday...anyone going Saturday?

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Thinking of doing Skyline on Sunday...anyone going Satur

Postby Ed » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:10 am

Good warning, Guest. Denali does not necessarily prepare you for a worst day in Southern California. I've spent time on Denali, on a trip eventful enough to be mentioned in a couple of books. Bad weather, avalanche danger, days that made me think of a Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, people I respected as good mountaineers starting to lose it. A day on one of our local peaks can be worse.

I guess the regular who triggered the SAR on Friday night is not going to fess up. One of the reasons I carry a SPOT is the ability to signal that I don't need a rescue, when I am overdue.
Ed

Postby guest » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:28 am

Hey 2600fromatari,

I'm glad you've found a way to overcome the relentless drive of youth to Bag that Peak or die urge, Ha.
I agree re. photos, it's worth it to experience some of mother natures conditions (within safe limits, of course), since many of the most dramatic come from those.

I think the more people read some of our near-death experiences on here, the more they may take pause, and realize the mt. ain't goin anywhere, and the risks are worth it, (nor is it to require the great SAR's folks to risk theirs, as you mentioned).

Even attempting tram to summit can be risky during one of these mother of all storms of recent times, (just ask a blonde hikin machine from the post below!!).

S2

Postby MrNizegy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks for the smart concern. I've been monitoring the weather closely. I was considering going Friday, as I'm unable to go Saturday. The "ZERO VISIBILITY" possibility is not something I want to be in. So I'm going to head up Sunday for some snowshoeing. Sounds like its going to dump a ton! Probably head up to Wellman's if I've got the energy. The peak may be quite a slough.
MrNizegy

Postby guest » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Hey Ed,
Always enjoy your perspective & experience, I've never even been to Alaska, let along Denali!
I do know, as you mentioned, a blizzard is a blizzard, (at least to some extent).
I like your idea of using a Spot to possibly keep SAR's & others from launching a mission.

MrNizegy, I think that's a very good choice, even many of us seasoned Skyliners get disoriented when visibility is crap, and, even when it's good, but there's So much new snow, most everything looks different!
Go early on Sunday to beat the crowds.

I think many of us are curious about the "local" who bivied in the chutes on Skyline.
If it's true a buddy hiked / snowed down to Flat Rock & back, good on him / her.

ss

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains