Snow conditions photos

General Palm Springs area.

Snow conditions photos

Postby sdtrackrunner » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Its that time of year again!!! Hooray!!!!!

Does anyone have current pics that show the snow conditions (coverage, depth, surface condition) on the east face, near the final large switchbacks of the summer trail? The north face chutes + snow creek? West side / Marion Mountain? Jean Peak? Miller Peak? Wellmans Divide? Tahquitz area? Post em up! Let's keep this thread going through the snow season for the interested. NOAA predicts a little less than a foot of fresh this week.

I'll try to get out this Saturday 12/17 and get some but I'm not sure yet. Could be pretty thin still.
sdtrackrunner

Re: Snow conditions photos

Postby 2600fromatari » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:22 pm

I was on Skyline today and it is VERY thin. You can go without Microspikes. There is no snow at Long Valley. Whatever gets dumped by the storm tomorrow will be the new base on the East side. Driving by the North Face, it looks like the gullies are full down to about 8,000 ft or so? I would not venture there if I was you. I doubt whatever is there has consolidated, but who knows. I went up there late Spring when the snow was melting and postholed knee to waist deep from about 8,000 ft to the summit. It was absolute misery.
2600fromatari

Postby sdtrackrunner » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Went for a ski a couple days ago. Found tons of snow coverage and a whole lot of breakable crust conditions but still skied the east faces of San Jacinto and Miller peaks. Nice, warm day out. Above freezing the whole time. Rode the 10:00 tram and was out from about 10:30am to 3:30pm.

On the summit of San Jacinto.

Looking over toward Jean Peak. You can see some spindrift from the breeze up there.

My tracks coming down San Jacinto. Definite crustiness.

Looking back toward San Jacinto from the summit of Miller. My ski tracks are visible from the summit angling down and left in the frame.

From the summit of Miller, looking east toward the tram station.
sdtrackrunner

Postby hillbasher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:14 am

Looks like you had a truly epic day. Congrats.
hillbasher

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains