Tram to SJ Peak conditions and water at Round Valley?

General Palm Springs area.

Tram to SJ Peak conditions and water at Round Valley?

Postby rbtp » Thu May 12, 2016 8:52 pm

We're heading to Mt. San Jacinto this weekend with my son's scout troop. We plan to stay the night at Round Valley.

I understand things are icy, but are microspikes or cramp-ons necessary to reach Round Valley from the Tram?
Is enough water flowing at Round Valley or should we carry all of our water in?

Thanks!
rbtp

Re: Tram to SJ Peak conditions and water at Round Valley?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri May 13, 2016 12:01 pm

It would be hard to imagine that micro spikes would be needed now on the way to Round Valley, but I haven't been up for a while. You could call the state park rangers and ask.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Sose » Fri May 13, 2016 2:07 pm

Haven't been up there lately, but there was water last August during a drought year so a darn good bet there is plenty now.
Sose

Postby 2600fromatari » Fri May 13, 2016 2:12 pm

We came down from the summit in the dark on Tuesday expecting to leave our crampons on but found that we didn't need anything on the trail. There are patches but all are easily avoided. Can't tell you about Round Valley since I couldn't see anything.
2600fromatari

Postby Sose » Fri May 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Pardon! Was speaking of little round valley. Still, I imagine water can be found this time of year in round valley also.
Sose

Postby CatB » Fri May 13, 2016 2:54 pm

I was on the Deer Springs side on Wed. There is no water in LRV. The last water is at Bed Springs/North Fork SJ river about a half mile below LRV.
CatB

Postby neverwashasbeen » Fri May 13, 2016 9:17 pm

The faucet is dry as of this afternoon. There is some water in the Long Valley creek almost all the way to Round Valley.
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri May 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Sose wrote:Pardon! Was speaking of little round valley. Still, I imagine water can be found this time of year in round valley also.
I very much doubt that you will find water in Little Round Valley even this time of year, although it's possible.

Below is a map I've put together of the various water sources in the San Jacintos. It's got the majority of water sources plotted although it may not be exhaustive in some of the more out-of-the way areas. Along the trails on the west side of the mountain, I have pretty high confidence in my map.

I've given a rating, admittedly subjective, based on my experience over the last decade or so of the reliability of each water source. The system is sort of like this:
I - Unreliable. Assume no water unless you have a current report to the contrary.
II - Less reliable. Water typically in early season although water possibly later in wet years.
III - More reliable. Water frequently into late season.
IV - Very reliable. Water almost always into late season.
V. Extremely reliable. Water always into late season even in multi-year droughts.

http://caltopo.com/m/6V2F

The best water near LRV has already been mentioned: Bed Springs or more accurately, Bed Springs Crossing, where the water crosses the Deer Springs Trail. Bed Springs Crossing is about half way between Deer Springs Camp and LRV.

There is water closer to LRV, at Rock and Lilly springs, but Bed Springs is the most reliable an will have the best flow.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby OldsRocket » Sat May 14, 2016 6:22 am

Hiking Jim, thank you so much for posting that map! I am planning to do my first overnight solo backpack trip in June and I will be looking for these spots along the way. Where did you get the map? It's much more detailed than ones I've seen. Thank you again!
OldsRocket

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat May 14, 2016 4:15 pm

The underlying map is produced by the US Forest Service. All of the markings on top of the underlying map are ones that I've made.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains