Gordon Trail Redux

General Palm Springs area.

Gordon Trail Redux

Postby hickey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:35 pm

gordon.JPG
From "Our Araby: Palm Springs and the Garden of the Sun" J. S. Chase, 1920:
Capturea.JPG

Captureb.JPG

..so the Gordon Trail begins at Andreas Canyon.
But on the map (found on this forum thanks) the Gordon Trail goes up Tahquitz;
there is the Tahquitz Canyon trail that leads to 'Mountain Bob's' cabin (if you dare 'lizards leap').
The latest word I have is that the Gordon Trail has been washed-out/grown over.
Any hearties out there done this in the last decade?
Spirit affords all allowances of nature.
hickey

Re: Gordon Trail Redux

Postby halhiker » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:06 am

Haven't been on it in TWO decades and every year I think this'll be the year I get back on it but I never make the effort. It starts at the top of the Andreas Club and without access to that it's a long, rocky and loose approach. It's just south of the Eagle's Rest Rock. When I was on it, there were definitely sections that we washed out but many of the sections were in fine shape and it was pretty easy to follow. I've followed Indian Trails that are much older and didn't have the same amount of work put into them so I'd imagine two decades hasn't eroded it completely. Don't know if I'll get up there this year but there's always next year, or the one after that, or the one after that…
halhiker

Postby Wildhorse » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:57 am

Hickey, Thanks for posting the old article. It is too bad that access to that trail is limited.

Hal, how does the Gordon Trail compare with the Jo Pond? Do you recall where it comes out at the top, so to speak. Does it pass near Carumba, or Law's Cabin? Or does it come out nearer to the top of Andreas Canyon? Looking down from the top of Andreas Canyon, I have imagined it would be a beautiful route for a climb.
Wildhorse

Postby whitebark » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:54 am

Is the route of the Gordon Trail roughly like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72558696@N00/16395560400/

and

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72558696@N00/15960445784/

?

Note that the "Idyllwild Trail" shown on the old map - the one that takes the crazy route across Taquitz Canyon - is a completely different trail than the Gordon Trail - I think. The two trails come together at the 6000' ridge.
whitebark

Postby hickey » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:24 pm

gordona.jpg

The 'Government Experiment Station' mentioned in Chase's 1920 book I believe is the old cement dam at Andreas Canyon (presently flash flood weather gauge). I had to look-up "avispas" where the description says there is water at 2000 ft; the name translates to wasps. I'll bring my own water, thanks.
From google terrain; Andreas Canyon with trail starting starting past the cyclone fence and going up. I added the red arrows.
Maybe this is the Gordon trail?
hickey

Postby Florian » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:33 pm

The Gordon trail starts at the bend in the road in hickey's Google image. I hiked the trail a long time ago to i think the peak 5428 on topos. Wish we had gone all the way to Caramba. I was with some friends that had legal access to the Andreas Canyon Club road.

-Florian
Florian

Postby hickey » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:38 am

Thank you Florian. I will be attempting this trail very soon. I am not an outlaw per se, but as to the spirit of the law (no access?) - nature provides allowances.
hickey

Postby Florian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:17 pm

whitebark wrote:Note that the "Idyllwild Trail" shown on the old map - the one that takes the crazy route across Taquitz Canyon - is a completely different trail than the Gordon Trail - I think.

I just looked more closely at that historic map. The eastern part of the Idyllwild Trail looks like roughly what we now call the Skyline Trail up to around 4500' or so. What's labelled Skyline Trail on the map is what we'd now call the Lykken Trail. As far as i know the Gordon Trail for the most part follows ridges south of Tahquitz Creek and isn't in the canyon at all until it arrives at Caramba.

-Florian
Florian

Postby Florian » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:21 pm

Actually, looking again, where the Gordon Trail is shown crossing Tahquitz Creek that would be Caramba Camp. There probably is/was an old route as show.

-Florian
Florian

Postby guest » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi Guys,
I went up the "Gordon trail" over 10 yr. ago from above Andreas Club.
We did follow some ridges, but what's left of the trail, was time consuming & challenging, to follow.
At about 3-4k I think, we found an old Nat'l Preserve metal circle, (similar to the newer ones used today).

Once we hit the inevitable thicker brush, we abandoned trail-finding-following, and headed up ridges & slopes, similar to what Skyline does.
You guys are fairly accurate in placing it on the map, (I do not remember are route).
I do know we stayed between Andreas & Tahquitz, hitting one of the canyons maybe 1k ft. before Carumba area.
My recollection is we topped out on the south side of the camp area.
After all that, you still after to climb to tram!

Unfortunately, it seems the Mt. fire was too far south, to have hit this area, otherwise it would be way easier, especially with navigation.
Some guy on here, who should go be the name "Mappin Jim"...., may be able to ID where the fire went

It was a long, arduous day, but fun & challenging too.

I've been up past Maynard Mine to 5 or 5.5k, where some cool water slides are, but the "brush zone" there is even worst.

Be interesting if you guys can uncover anything about an old Skyline Trail, (whether on the north or south side of Tahquitz.

Hal & Florian are probably only a few that may remember, (or have heard of) the old Shiller-Hack tr.(n side of W. Fork).

ss

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains