Congrats to HJ!

General Palm Springs area.

Postby bluerail » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:14 am

Very nice Jim, a big congratulations!! Wish I could have been around to enjoy it. That's substantial difference in the time you were thinking.
bluerail

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:32 pm

arocknoid wrote:Congratulations to you, Jim! You have always been so generous sharing your time, knowledge, and experience with the SoCal Mtns; it is nice to see there a few more Firsts for you to enjoy.
Thanks. Yeah, as many hikes as I've done, there are always so many more. After 50 years, I've still just scratched the surface.

arocknoid wrote:Geez, you're probably the only (posting) hiker to have completed all the 10Ks *before* doing Skyline.
:lol: That's truer than you know. Since I'm currently unemployed, I decided to do some hiking to keep myself sane (submitting resumes to the "black hole" can get a little depressing, suffice it to say). So, I set out to finish my 10K peak list. And a few weeks ago, finish it, I did. "Now what?" :lol: I said to myself. Well, what the heck, I'm in fairly good shape, let's try Skyline, I thought. I was intimidated by the thought of 8000k gain, but people here talked me through my fears. People's comments were more helpful than they'll ever know. After talking about it, I was pretty sure I could do it. And do it I did. 8)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:43 pm

bluerail wrote:Very nice Jim, a big congratulations!! Wish I could have been around to enjoy it. That's substantial difference in the time you were thinking.
Hi, Steve,

Thanks. Yeah I was figuring on 11 hours with 10 hours as my stretch goal. I did it in 9 which I was very pleased with. I was even more pleased that I really didn't struggle anywhere on the trail or with the weight I was carrying (about 23 pounds, including 5L of water). Apparently my prep was reasonably good. Overall, a great day on the mountain.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains