Congrats to HJ!

General Palm Springs area.

Postby cynthia23 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Congrats Jim! This is a real achievment, so relish it. It was great fun seeing you (and getting to finally see all the goodies inside the Mysterious HJ backpack!!)
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:34 pm

HikeUp wrote:Good job, dude.
Thanks, man. 8)

Hmm, interesting list. Maybe I can actually do an R2R. Hadn't ever seriously considered it before, but maybe. I've been wanting to do a multi day backpack there for quite some time...
zippetydude wrote:This is the top challenge, and you nailed it.
Thanks, man. It felt really good to "go over the top" at the Notch. Thanks again for keeping me company on the way up.

Andy wrote:Congrats Jim!
:D It was one heckuva hike. I really enjoyed seeing what everyone has so effusively talked about.

Ed wrote:
hikin_jim wrote:Only 5th? What on earth is harder?
Telescope Peak from Shorty's Well.
Really? :idea: :wink:
Ed wrote:Congratulations, Jim.
Thanks, Ed
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:21 pm

cynthia23 wrote:Congrats Jim! This is a real achievment, so relish it.
Thanks, Cynthia. I was pleased that overall it went pretty smoothly. A bit slow at the start, but I picked up speed on the Neverending Ridge, and then kept a good pace above Flat Rock.

cynthia23 wrote:It was great fun seeing you (and getting to finally see all the goodies inside the Mysterious HJ backpack!!)
And thank you for being a great hostess and providing a "base camp" for an itinerant hiker.

Oh, and remember, you're sworn to silence as to the mysterious contents of my rather large pack. :wink:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby guest » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Congrats Jim, I knew you "had it", heart & soul.
Sorry I missed you, somehow I got "off trail" and went by, then meet Ellen, and she told me you were on the trail behind us.

Meet Fern & a fast & fit gal from Canada at the tram, I knew he was a bit ahead of me, as I kept seeing bare footprints. Here's his profound proclamation. He asked, "Do you know what hurts more than stubbing you toe (repeatedly) on rocks barefoot"?
Well, after looking at bloody feet even Ellen would have cringed at, I guess, " Stubbing the same toe after your lost the toenail (because of same abuse).
Bingo! How did I guess.
But he does carry a lite pr. of shoes to ride the Tram Down!! You know, keep them toesie's warm, and keep the tram peeps happy with their dress code! Besides, that pavement's awfully hard!

Your 1-2 days of pain & soreness should wear off Jim, which is when you'll declare, hey, maybe I just might want to climb the mt. again!
ss

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 am

guest wrote:Sorry I missed you, somehow I got "off trail" and went by, then meet Ellen, and she told me you were on the trail behind us.
Oh, doggone it. I was hoping I might run into you on the way up. Haven't seen you since forever (since we had BBQ with Walt at the top of the tram in 2007?)

guest wrote:Met Fern... at the tram
Dang it. I missed him too. And supposedly Perry was on the mountain too. :(

On the plus side, I did get to see Ellen and Zip, and I finally got to meet Doreen. I also got to meet Jack and Nick who sometimes post here. I met a few other people too that are "friends of friends" of posters here. The real reason to do Skyline? That's where all the cool people hang out. :lol: 8)

guest wrote:Your 1-2 days of pain & soreness should wear off Jim, which is when you'll declare, hey, maybe I just might want to climb the mt. again!
Actually, it's not too bad. My three day backpack in the San Gorgonio Wilderness in September was much worse, but that trip in September was a lot more gain and tons of loss and in much steeper XC terrain (and I hadn't been working out as much). I'm sore, but not that bad. I took one anti-inflammatory yesterday, but that was it. I guess this working out thing actually does pay off. :wink:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby HH8 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:08 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:I guess this working out thing actually does pay off.

The only catch is, you have to KEEP doing it :-)
HH8

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:11 am

Well, immediately after cresting Skyline, I started a new, rigorous excercise program: The 12 ounce curl!

Many thanks to Ellen for the, er, "excercise equipment." :wink: :lol:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ellen » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:37 am

Howdy HJ :)

Now I regret not treating you to two AB beers -- that would have increased the number of repetitions of the 12 ounce curl :wink:

Congratulations 8)

From the heart,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:40 am

Ellen wrote:Now I regret not treating you to two AB beers -- that would have increased the number of repetitions
Boy, talk about drinking to someone's health! :wink:

"But honest honey, this was a registered dietician's advice..." :lol:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby arocknoid » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:51 pm

Congratulations to you, Jim! You have always been so generous sharing your time, knowledge, and experience with the SoCal Mtns; it is nice to see there a few more Firsts for you to enjoy.

Geez, you're probably the only (posting) hiker to have completed all the 10Ks *before* doing Skyline.

One thing for sure: you might equally well be called Smilin' Jim, as your effervescence is prominent both On Trail and online.
'Tis a heritage you are already passing on :)

kind regards,
yoroshiku onegaishimasu
arocknoid
arocknoid

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains