Thinking About Doing Skyline...

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Skyline

Postby Florian » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:I doubt I'll recognize any of the land marks by name since this will be my first time on route.

Wow, that took me by surprise. As much as you comment here I assumed you had hiked the trail before.

-Florian
Florian

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 pm

No, I haven't done Skyline before. I haven't done Fuller Ridge either, so that's on my list... along with a dozen other things. And then there's the desert divide, and I've never even done one hike in the Santa Rosas. Lots of stuff out that way. I don't get out that way much even though I love the SJ's because it's minimum four hours drive RT for each hike.

I'm currently taking advantage of being out of work to get in shape and do some hikes I just haven't had time to do. I completed all the peaks over 10,000' in Southern California a couple of weeks ago, and I'm now focusing on Skyline.

8000' of vertical gain. And just why do I want to do this to myself? :roll:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby HikeUp » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:27 pm

You'll do fine HJ. You think you're slow, but I know otherwise. All up no down is the key, mentally.
HikeUp

Postby Carl F » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:01 am

I'm off next weekend. I can be a Sherpa, just not as good as Steve of Fern, Though Russ got lost in that first mile and I think I can handle it.
Carl F

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:18 am

HikeUp wrote:You'll do fine HJ. You think you're slow, but I know otherwise. All up no down is the key, mentally.
Hey, you beat me by a mile on that hike we did to Hastings Peak. Of course that was a lot of downhill where I really am slow.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 am

Carl F wrote:I'm off next weekend. I can be a Sherpa...
lol. No, it's all right. If I can carry my daughter + gear for two on a backpack (that's 70 to 75 lbs), I think I can carry water and a jacket up Skyline.

Now, I'm just deciding how early to start. I guess most 'regulars' are there before noon. If I want any company in the tram bar, I'd probably better start pretty early.

I might leave LA Friday evening instead of gosh darn early Saturday morning. I guess I probably can't sleep in my car at the trailhead. That's probably a "no, no" in town. :(

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby TDGillam » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 am

Jim, I have slept in my car (Volvo sedan) many times and have never had a problem aside from noisy hikers showing up. I have seen many others doing the same. I might suggest parking under the lights for security reasons, but again I have never had an issue. I hope your car is more comfortable than mine. I went up yesterday, left @ 5:15 and it was beautiful in spite of the nasty weather over SoCal.
TDGillam

Postby bluerail » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:48 am

You're always welcome at the house if I'm I'm town Jim, unfortunately I'm in DV the end of this week.

Good luck buddy, you'll do fine.
bluerail

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:48 pm

bluerail wrote:You're always welcome at the house if I'm I'm town Jim, unfortunately I'm in DV the end of this week.
Wow. Why thank you, Steve. You're a gentleman. Enjoy DV.

Good luck buddy, you'll do fine.
Much appreciated!

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:56 pm

TDGillam wrote:Jim, I have slept in my car (Volvo sedan) many times and have never had a problem aside from noisy hikers showing up. I have seen many others doing the same. I might suggest parking under the lights for security reasons, but again I have never had an issue. I hope your car is more comfortable than mine. I went up yesterday, left @ 5:15 and it was beautiful in spite of the nasty weather over SoCal.
Ah! Good to know. Maybe I'll try to leave LA after the traffic dies down a bit Friday evening, snooze in the car for a few hours, and then get on the trail. I haven't decided on a departure time yet (before dawn, certainly). I'll keep an eye on the weather and decide as the week progresses.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains