Thinking About Doing Skyline...

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:51 am

Yeah, I wondered about that. I kind of figured cloud cover might actually be nice considering Skyline's sometimes deadly reputation for heat. It might have been a really good day to go with minimumal amounts of water, water being one of the heaviest things a hiker carries.

I just hope the weather isn't worse on Saturday next. :lol:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:36 pm

I don't think heat is going to be a problem at this time of year, or any time the Palm Springs forecasted high is around 80 degrees or lower, given your planned 4:00am starting time. On the other hand, I ran into two young men coming down a few weeks ago; they turned around because they hit a few windy, cold rain showers and had no rain gear. The rain showers did not last long, and the weather cleared up, but they had no way of knowing that. Personally, I tend to find the last hour or so to be quite chilly, though admittedly I have a sensitivity to cold I never had when I was younger.
Ed

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi, Ed,

Yes, I'd agree that heat isn't the primary concern. I was thinking more in terms of direct sun requiring me to carry more water. This is subjective, but my sense is that I use less water on cloudy days.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby 63ChevyII » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:43 pm

I did Skyline on 11/3 and 11/24. I'm thinking about trying a full C2C on 12/8. I'm not too excited about the prospect of a 1am start time or the likelihood of dealing with snow/ice on the peak though!

I lost the trail (museum) both times. This afternoon I went up North Lykken trail to the junction the museum trail and skyline. Seems like it is much easier to follow and definitely had a gentler incline.

Afterwards I walked into PS to watch the Festival of Lights with my wife and our 3 month old son. Overall, it was a wonderful day!

http://runkeeper.com/user/63ChevyII/activity/134390667
63ChevyII

weather was great today.

Postby Ardiner » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:41 am

we did Skyline up and back and weather was great and trails clear. I do not recommend the down part. The tram is much easier on the feet. Good luck with your hike.
Ardiner

Re: Thinking About Doing Skyline...

Postby jfr » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:
HH8 wrote:If I could make it, I think you will too. Reread my TR:
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?t=3221
Excellent write up (and very encouraging). May I borrow your Sherpa? :wink:

HJ

Skyline Sherpas? :idea: Nice! I'm seeing a new opportunity to make money here. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And with any new business opportunity comes a new marketing strategy: "You Hike It - We Haul It!"

And all marketing strategies must appeal to a particular demographic: "Hike Skyline in Style! Premium Services for Discriminating Skyline Hikers." This weeds out the poor people (like me) who have to stoop to carrying their own gear.

The standard service would include water and sweet/salty snacks. Optional ($$) services could include Performance Foods such as gels and electrolyte solutions, fresh-baked muffins a la Hikin' Jim, an inflatable mattress pad for relaxing/napping at Flatrock, and/or a congratulatory beer at the Tram Bar. Premium services ($$$) might include a personal trainer to coax/implore/demand/force you to reach Grubbs Notch in a specified time frame. The Ultra-Premium Service ($$$$) would (of course) be to "hike" via palanquin, where four burly athletes carry you up the mountain, as you ride in luxury, nose held high, looking down upon the hoi-palloi.

Finally, as with all dangerous and demanding activities, a legal disclaimer must also apply: "Hike at your own risk! People have died hiking this trail! Skyline Sherpas LLC is not liable for anything whatsoever, and reserves the right to change the terms of the agreement at any time without notice! Consult your physician before hiking the Skyline Trail!"

:lol: 8) :twisted: :wink: (and any other emoticons that might apply!) :D
jfr

Re: Thinking About Doing Skyline...

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Excellent idea. A sedan chair on Skyline is just my style. :wink:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Skyline

Postby Carl F » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 pm

OK enough of the talk.

I need a TR from HJ. I'm on pins and needles.

I don't want to wait for Dec 8. Can't we go earlier??
Carl F

Postby Carl F » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:31 pm

PS to H.J

I want your comments on the following

1. Never ending ridge

2. The Enchanted gardens

4. Florian's cache (beautiful view included)

5. Thank you Jesus rocks

I think I know these places but with your encyclopedic memory I wanted to tell you in advance so that you can gather information and document the said areas. I have faith in you. Godspeed
Carl F

Re: Skyline

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Carl F wrote:OK enough of the talk.

I need a TR from HJ. I'm on pins and needles.

I don't want to wait for Dec 8. Can't we go earlier??
"We?" You volunteering for Sherpa duty, bro?

I've got a class M - Th and a conference on Friday. Saturday is my earliest opportunity. I'm still a little intimidated by the prosepect of 8,000' of vertical gain, :shock: but I appreciate all the encouragement. I was particularly encouraged by this thought from Ulysses:
Ulysses wrote:Remember also Jim that on those other hikes you had to hike down the same distance and elevation. Go for it.

Oh, and I can pretty much guarantee some kind of TR (even if I have to write it from my hospital bed after RMRU drags my butt off the mountain in a sling), but I doubt I'll recognize any of the land marks by name since this will be my first time on route.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains