A possible Saturday Skyline

General Palm Springs area.

probably will go on sunday

Postby michael » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:21 am

I couldnt make it today (Saturday) so will probably go on Sunday morning....looking over some of the comments I too am worried....like im looking at a train wreck... probably just in my head....might be an alternate group leader...though i really fear for the slower hikers...
:(
michael

Postby PatrickSupra » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:38 am

I'm meeting up with Ellen in an hour at the art museum. Really looking forward to this hike! Bluerail, you're starting an hour after us? Maybe we'll see you.
PatrickSupra

lightning

Postby HH8 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:10 am

I got as far as those 5 picnic tables by 3 AM and opted against ridge-running with lightning up there several times per minute.
HH8

Postby PatrickSupra » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:51 pm

I had such a great time guys, thank you all for leading me up my first Skyline. It was everything I had hoped for and then some. I'll be feeling the last two miles for a couple days. Worth every step!
PatrickSupra

Postby neverwashasbeen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:03 pm

I saw 7 headed up :) and about an hour later, one headed down :? :shock:
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

A possible Saturday Skyline

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:45 pm

I am looking forward to Ellens trip report.
Tomorrow's c2c should be interesting. They have 14 people signed up starting at 1.00 am

http://www.hiking4health.com/?p=230 (C2C details)
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby bluerail » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:33 pm

where the heck were you Cameron? And was that you on the rock?

nice job Patrick....welcome to your new problem.
bluerail

Postby hvydrt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Zé wrote:...seems some people think they can do the hike because they were in the military. we know how that's turned about before...

michael wrote:....like im looking at a train wreck... probably just in my head....might be an alternate group leader..

Its starting to sounds like summitpost around here.
hvydrt

Postby PatrickSupra » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks Steve. Had a blast out there. I'm gonna take tomorrow off but let me know when you get something crazy planned during the tram closure. :)
PatrickSupra

Postby Ellen » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:00 am

Howdy All :)

I saw flashes of lightning as I drove over the pass in Beaumont. It started raining on 111 -- I was very happy to only be doing Skyline. Met Patrick and Robin in the parking lot and started about 4:45 AM. I was struggling by the picnic tables -- it was very humid. My headlamp had died, which made my usual stumbling around in the dark worse. Fortunately, Robin had spare batteries.

I encouraged them to go ahead but they kindly stayed with me. The greyhounds (Dynamic Duo, Ironman Martine and his son Martine) caught us at Shade Rock. I breathed a sigh of relief and dropped back, trying to find a workable pace. I thought I would wipe off my face with the amount I used my hankerchef. Fortunately, we did have some cloud cover, which helped significantly. I caught up the greyhounds at the bottom of the 5 K ridge and maintained loose contact from that point on.

The desert rats thought the weather was great -- the polar bear was metling. It was a relief to reach the Thankyou Jesus Rocks at the beginning of the traverse and finally feel a breeze. I felt like I clawed my way on all fours from Coffman's to Grubbs Notch. Scrambled up the rocks to the tram and quickly enjoyed a Stone IPA before heading down. Had a wonderful meal at Las Casuelas before heading home, taking a bath, and beginning my coma.

It was a great and challenging day -- thanks to my fast friends for their company. I don't think it will be long before Patrick is knocking out sub four Skylines.

I'm looking forward to cooler Skylines when the tram reopens.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains