Eight Hikers Stranded - rmru report

General Palm Springs area.

Eight Hikers Stranded - rmru report

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri May 18, 2007 10:53 am

I also agree that those rescued should have to pay something. Mount Hood in Oregon has many rescues and National Geographic wrote an article about it.
http://nationalgeographic.com/adventure ... llins.html

http://pmru.org
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

What?

Postby haploid » Fri May 18, 2007 11:45 am

Wait a minute, what? :)

Are you people suggesting that rescues on skyline ordinarily do NOT cost the rescuee? I've never heard of this.

Ambulance runs eventually end up being charged to the transported patient, and it's well known that Grand Canyon rescues( helicopter or mule or stretcher team )cost several thousands. What's the crazy altruistic organization that does FREE rescues on skyline?
Got sick of rim 2 rim, moving onto cactus 2 clouds.
haploid

Postby cynthia23 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:11 pm

That's right, Haploid, rescues on Skyline are completely FREE. Run and get yours now!

The Riverside Mountain Rescue is an all-volunteer group, although they coordinate with the P.S. police. They do not charge anybody anything. Nor do the rangers up at the ranger station in the State Park, although perhaps this situation will eventually change as people get ever more ridiculous in their behavior and more numerous in their presence. I know they have coordinated numerous heli rescues and as far as I know people are not charged for the helo flights. The ambulances are another matter--perhaps, once you hit "the ground" and the civilian world, reality kicks in and once again you have to pay for your fun. But by and large the whole thing seems to be a free ride.

Go ahead, Haploid. Knock yourself out!

Rim to Rim vs. C2c--most people say Rim to Rim is somewhat harder (I haven't done it so don't know) so you will probably find C2C not too bad--although speaking for myself, it certainly was just a few steps short of a near-death experience. Just bring enough food for the day. You don't want to have to resort to the only thing worse than cannibalism: the tram restaurant .....
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Sounds good to me

Postby haploid » Fri May 18, 2007 2:12 pm

Cynthia:

Sounds like a great deal to me. Next time I go, I'll start at noon and bring along a liter of water and a snickers bar. For my rescue photo op, I'll be sure to strike a double thumbs-up pose.

Having done many rim to rim hikes, and having gone from the museum to the tram only once( not the full c2c ), I would guess the only way that anybody could consider rim to rim more difficult is the greater amount of downhill( which has never been a problem ) and the temperatures in the inner canyon( which are roughly comparable to Palm Springs anyway ). A 10,400 foot climb is only slightly less than double the climb up the north rim, and more than double the climb up the south rim. Backpacker's "Ten Hardest Day Hikes" article reflects this, as ranking #7 vs #5.
Got sick of rim 2 rim, moving onto cactus 2 clouds.
haploid

Postby hillbasher » Sat May 19, 2007 1:33 pm

Was almost to the top of the peak this past Monday afternoon when a helicopter, making enough noise to raise the dead, landed in the meadow at Round Valley. Anyone know what was going on?
hillbasher

Postby cynthia23 » Sun May 20, 2007 1:38 pm

No, but it's not that uncommon for them to do that for Medical rescues. Usually it is somebody who tries to climb to the peak but is not in good enough condition to safely do that and starts to have heart-attack-like symptoms while somewhere on the trail from Wellman's Divide. (usual culprit: an overweight guy in his fifties or sixties, who hasn't exercised much in a while, and is unprepared for combination of altitude and aerobics.) This time of year heart attacks are the most likely medical event (winter brings more falls.) It seems to happen at least every other week ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Who pays for SAR

Postby dhstein313 » Mon May 21, 2007 1:00 am

In SoCAL the Standard procedure is for the COUNTY of the Rescued/Recovered hikers to pay for the cost. So if Someone gets lost on the skyline trail but lives in LA county --- LA county pays Riverside County for the rescue. If someone from out of the state gets lost then the county where the rescue takes place eats the bill. This could change at anytime and I have heard of rare cases of severe neglect where the the lost subject pays the bill.

As for helicopter costs --- if it is a Sheriff Helicopter there usually is NO fee ..... if is is a hospital helicopter then be prepared to pay big bucks.

D

[quote="cynthia23"]That's right, Haploid, rescues on Skyline are completely FREE. Run and get yours now!

The Riverside Mountain Rescue is an all-volunteer group, although they coordinate with the P.S. police. They do not charge anybody anything. Nor do the rangers up at the ranger station in the State Park, although perhaps this situation will eventually change as people get ever more ridiculous in their behavior and more numerous in their presence. I know they have coordinated numerous heli rescues and as far as I know people are not charged for the helo flights. The ambulances are another matter--perhaps, once you hit "the ground" and the civilian world, reality kicks in and once again you have to pay for your fun. But by and large the whole thing seems to be a free ride.

Go ahead, Haploid. Knock yourself out!

Rim to Rim vs. C2c--most people say Rim to Rim is somewhat harder (I haven't done it so don't know) so you will probably find C2C not too bad--although speaking for myself, it certainly was just a few steps short of a near-death experience. Just bring enough food for the day. You don't want to have to resort to the only thing worse than cannibalism: the tram restaurant .....[/quote]
dhstein313

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains