hopefully a simple question?

General Palm Springs area.

hopefully a simple question?

Postby gonzo411 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:16 pm

i want to go to the peak on wednesday the 25th of april. Am i going to encounter snow on the actual trail. i mean, slogging through snow to get to the top. please help clear this up. thanx, i keep hearing really vague reports about the current snowfall. i can't wait for another month to go by so i can be assured a snowless adventure.
gonzo411

Postby gonzo411 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:53 pm

to reply to my own question, no there is not any problem snow on the way to the peak. on wednesday i went up devils slide, left on pct, up marion, up deer springs to peak, down to wellmans divide, down to saddle junction and back down devils slide. a 20 mile 4,000 ft climb and descend in less than 7 hours. i have the heel to prove it. let the summer hiking begin. i saw some people with crampons and all sorts of winter gear and felt horrible for them. That is what this site should fix. unnecessary packing and expectations.
gonzo411

Postby tkvance » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:24 pm

Great trail update. Thanks for the Trip Report.
tkvance

Postby magikwalt » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:37 pm

Sorry about not redirecting you to Perry's post on the other thread. It looked like you were reading and replying so I thought you would have seen this one from on Wed evening. Most of us have those dreaded day jobs that lock us in until the weekend.

magikwalt

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wore gaiters yesterday but it didn't seem necessary. There is a big snow pile in the shade at 10,000 feet but it's solid. If you get there in the early morning or evening there will be small patches of ice.
magikwalt

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains