22,000 ft elevation gain (2 c2c's)

General Palm Springs area.

Recovery Nutrition

Postby Ellen » Sun May 06, 2007 4:53 pm

Howdy BCox :D

I agree -- recovery nutrition is very important to restore muscle glycogen, repair muscle damage, and replace fluid losses. I'm a sport dietitian (exercise physiologist and registered dietitian) and work with endurance athletes.

Research demonstrates that consuming carbohydrate immediately (within 30 minutes) promotes greater muscle glycogen storage compared to consuming the same amount of carbohydrate several hours later.

Consuming protein immediately after exercise increases net muscle protein synthesis more than consuming carbohydrate alone. In fact, consuming protein before exercise helps to kick start the recovery process. The digestion of protein consumed before exercise provides amino acids to the muscles following exericse.

I've only been a forum member a short time and the nutrition discussion has focused on fueling during exercise.

I am a big fan of 1% chocolate milk as a recovery drink due to the combination of carbohydrate and protein.

Sample recovery snacks:
Turkey sandwich and banana
Fruit yogurt, Grape Nuts, and raisins
Fruit yogurt and fresh fruit
Pretzels and mozzarella cheese
Bagel, banana, and peanut butter
Cottage cheese, whole grain crackers, and apple
Cottage cheese and fruit salad
Whole grain cereal with low-fat milk or soymilk
Juice, whole grain bread, and peanut butter
Graham crackers and peanut butter
1% fat chocolate milk
Sports bar and sports drink
Liquid meal (e.g. Boost or Ensure)
Commercial recovery drinks

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

He lives....

Postby bcox » Mon May 07, 2007 8:53 pm

My apologies for the lack of posts. Between lots of travel for work and having my first baby I must say the last four months have been really busy. But - I'm starting to get going after a knee problem last month (in case there was any doubt, it is not a good idea to try a 50k as a "welcome back to trail running" after 4 months off) and look forward to my second trip up C2C. Memorial Day Weekend if all goes well....

The Pretzels and mozzarella cheese sound really good. I enjoy them both but have never tried them together as a post-event fuel. Thanks for the tip!

Zdude - only two trips up to the tram last week? ;) Must be a recovery week for you! I'd still like to see some of your local runs in the San G area. If I get in shape maybe we can try one of your link-up ideas.

BCox
bcox

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains