22,000 ft elevation gain (2 c2c's)

General Palm Springs area.

22,000 ft elevation gain (2 c2c's)

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:56 am

Anyone feel up to it? - not me. I am happy just to reach the tram. Last year Scott Swaney did two c2c's on Saturday and Sunday.
http://www.outdoorsclub.org/forum/displ ... Position=1
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby magikwalt » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:29 am

I've looked at that hike several times but never was able to find anyone who was interested. Any chance Alan or someone else out there might have a GPS track on it?

Thanks for posting this Cy. I read the postings they made last year and it looks like they resupplied at the tram before continuing to the summit.
magikwalt

Postby zippetydude » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:52 am

Somehow I'm not catching on to what hike they're talking about. Are they doing C2C twice on consecutive days, or going up the PCT through Snow Creek, or taking the rock climbing route from Snow Creek, or some other route? I'd like to learn a new route - I'm hoping it's one I've never done.

z
zippetydude

Postby magikwalt » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi Zippety.

I looked over the postings from last years trip and they go PCT to the tram, reload and then summit and back to the tram again. It looks like this year they are going to do the same hike twice. Once on Saturday and then again on Sunday.
magikwalt

Postby zippetydude » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:58 pm

Odd. Why not go the full route without bouncing off the tram? I did that last year with bcox, and we had a blast. We only did it once, but I felt that was sufficient.

If you want to do a real challenge, how about Skyline to tram to summit to PCT down to Snow Creek, across the 10 on the PCT up to the back of San Gorgonio, up to Mission Creek, follow Fish Creek to San G Peak, then down the Ridge and pop out at Angelus Oaks. It would be about 78 miles and crest both mountains. I'm thinking that might be a tough one to do in a single day, but I think it's possible. It would sure be the toughest challenge I've undertaken. With some training and a wild hair, though...

z
zippetydude

Postby magikwalt » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:38 am

Dang Zippety! I was thinking about back to back trips up to the tram in one day and then you have to start musing about a death march. Given my weak pace that 78 miles would take at least 3 days to cover.

Anyone ever done the hike to the tram twice in one day??
magikwalt

Postby AlanK » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:25 am

I have heard of people doing C2C twice in a row. That's Palm Springs to the peak twice -- up and down. No tram. I believe the time was under 24 hours. That's moving. I could see trying to do Cactus to Clouds to Cactus in under 12 hours, but doing it again that fast? Not me.

In general, the idea of hiking something twice in a row has little interest for me. I am more intrigued by things like variations of the 3 Saints (San Antonio, San Gorgonio, San Jacinto in a day). Or through hiking the JMT in minimum time. I've done it at a leisurely pace -- maybe it's be fun to hurry.

I may make an exception for Whitney. Jack Northam does Whitney twice in a day at least once per year and I may give that a go some time. I don't know why, so don't ask. I think I'd try Onion Valley to Whitney in a day first, though.

Madness. Madness.
AlanK

Postby zippetydude » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:34 am

Hi Walt.

I was just trying to come up with something with 20k+ of climbing without having to do the same thing twice!

I have considered the long route I mentioned, as there are lots of ultra runners who do 100 milers so I know it's possible. Still, it's only something I've considered - my first rule (besides safety) it to have fun. Challenges can be fun, but not at the expense of, say, several weeks of recovery that would keep me off the trail completely. Also, I don't want the last part of any adventure to be miserable - the whole thing should be fun, or I should shorten it until it is. So far, I haven't found strength or endurance enough to enjoy anywhere close to 78 miles!

z
zippetydude

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:42 am

Osama (aka Steve Fausset) has done C2C twice in one day; he says he knows of others who have as well. O is quite nonchalant about it. As for me, even if I could somehow do it physically (and nohow I could), mentally I would surely go mad. Perhaps in fact that is what happened with the guy who went crazy on the San Jac summit and barricaded himself in the stone house (according to Ranger Eric, he had to be extracted with a SWAT team. What fun! Finally, a way to get a helicopter ride back to the tram.)
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby magikwalt » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:33 pm

Two summits in one day are beyond my day dreaming ability. I'm hoping to wipe it from my thougts today so it doesn't become this evening's nightmare.

Hiking to the tram station twice in one day might be something I'd try. Perhaps when summer has ended and the weather grants a mild afternoon temp.
magikwalt

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains