advice on pack on mountain

General Palm Springs area.

advice on pack on mountain

Postby backpacintrouble » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:14 am

hello all...eight days ago I was hiking solo about 5 miles up on the Idyllwild side of the hill. I set up camp and ten minutes later I feel off a rock spraining my left knee. Laying there for ten minutes I realized I was in trouble. I lost all function in my leg spent the night in extreme pain. The next day I couldnt even get out of my tent. I had a whistle but no one heard for a day. The next day I gained about 1% leg function and dragged myself down. It took seven hours but I was happy to be out of trouble. I spent a week on the couch with a second degree sprain. My leg is healing and crossing my fingers surgery is not needed. I don't think I will be able to even climb that distance for at least two or three more weeks. I live in Borrego and I don't know anyone who climbs who could get it. The pack is semi-hidden but very easy to find. With a full day pack it would be a full load. Would offering a reward entice someone to retrieve it for me. Any other ideas?? Do you think it would be okay to leave for three or four weeks when I'm recovered. After solo climbing for years all of the be carefuls and your crazy have come true. I can't wait to get my pack and heal and finish that darn climb. Thanks great site by the way.....Justin
backpacintrouble

Postby LAMike » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:43 am

Hi.
wow... sorry to hear about your accident. You might try giving the rangers a call at: 760-327-0631
Mike
LAMike

Postby backpacintrouble » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:33 am

The Feds know and forwarded a message to the state where the pack is. I can't seem to get anyone from state besides a long message and not even the capability to leave a message..thanks Justin
backpacintrouble

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:47 pm

I have a trail running friend in Idyllwild. He might be able to help.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby backpacintrouble » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:49 am

thanks for the responses. Ive had some serious healing in the past few days. Im heading up on Sat., will spend the night and come down slow on Sun. I hiked 6 miles yesterday in Borrego on a semi-flat trail and had a little pain, but it was strong. After two weeks I hope the pack is there and in intact...I'll give an update thanks Justin :)
backpacintrouble

Postby backpacintrouble » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:23 pm

I guess I should change my name, as my pack is alive and well in my living room. I went on Saturday stayed off the PCT in the slush and cold on Sat night. Leg held up till last mile and blew up. Probably added a week or so to full recovery but so worth it to have my pack back. :):)
backpacintrouble

Postby Davis2001r6 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:46 pm

Glad to here you were able to recover it, if I didn't live in Phoenix I would have tried to help. Good luck with the recovery!
Davis2001r6

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:52 pm

It's not too hard to change usernames. But if you want to forever be known as the guy with backpack troubles.... :D
Perry
Site Admin

Postby KathyW » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:04 pm

backpacintrouble -

I'm glad you were able to rescue your pack. I know what it feels like to leave a pack behind - I've done that before, but when I went back my pack was gone. I was in a panic until I checked at the ranger station the next day and found out that a ranger had picked it up and was holding it for me. I didn't leave my pack because I had to though - I just left it sitting next to a backcountry road in Death Valley and drove away without realizing I didn't load it in the truck.

Kathy
KathyW

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains