Skyline starting midnight (1am) April 12 & May 5 &12

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed May 09, 2007 9:24 am

Hi Kathy - Yes - I will be going at 1 am from the museum with Dave Detterich. I hope you can join us. My stiff neck and back should be gone by then.
The Outdoorsclub is leaving at 4 am. for the peak.
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Thu May 10, 2007 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby KathyW » Wed May 09, 2007 3:26 pm

Cy:

I am going to join you on Saturday if you don't mind. I was out in the Coachella Valley today. It was 106 degrees in the City of Coachella and 105 degrees just before the Banning Pass, so I'll need that early start on Saturday.

I leave work at noon on Fridays, so I'll just go home and try to go to sleep after I get my pack ready.

I'd also like to try for the summit.

Kathy
KathyW

Skyline starting 1 am May 12

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed May 09, 2007 5:58 pm

Kathy - That would be great
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Postby marmot » Wed May 09, 2007 10:24 pm

hi there,
its that time of year again, im going to be down to SoCal for about three months. I want to do cactus to clouds for may 26th, its a saturday, is anyone thinking about hiking it that weekend?
marmot

Skyline/c2c starting 1 am May 12

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu May 10, 2007 10:28 am

So far we have five for the slower group starting at 1 am - Les,Kathy, Dave D, Anne Marie and myself. If anyone is late just start up. If we see a car pull up we will wait a spell at the Picnic Tables. There will be a lot of people coming up especially at 4 am The ODC has two groups totalling more than 20 people who will have to deal with the heat unless we get lucky. This will be the first time doing this hike with a stiff neck and back. I hope the muscle relaxants will take away most of the discomfort.
Cy Kaicener

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun May 13, 2007 5:19 am

My thanks go to Kathy for leading Dave D and Anne Marie up c2c. I was injured (muscle strain) and would have loved to have been there. I took the first cable car up and met them at the top of Skyline. The outdoorsclub had thirty people coming up, a couple of whom arrived at Long Valley at about the same time. They (Kathy, Dave and Anne Marie) all made it to the top of the peak - Congratulations.
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Mon May 14, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cy Kaicener

Postby KathyW » Sun May 13, 2007 9:47 am

I didn't really do any leading, but it sure helped to be in a group in the dark. After it got light out it we split up so that we could move at our own paces. With 30 people on the trail there wasn't any worry about being alone. Even with an early start it was hot above Flat Rock. Dave and I were able to stay together and we did push on to the summit with the help of the Little Mountain group.

Anyway - everyone had a good day and made it out safely.
KathyW

Postby zippetydude » Sun May 13, 2007 11:04 am

Kathy - wasn't that your first time going all the way from the museum to the peak?

z
zippetydude

Congratulations Kathy!!!

Postby Ellen » Sun May 13, 2007 8:12 pm

Hey sister :D
Woo hoo -- you go girl 8) I'm looking forward to reading your summit report.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby KathyW » Mon May 14, 2007 10:18 am

Thanks Ellen - It felt really good to finally make it up to the top.

Zip - Yes, my first time from Palm Springs to the summit of San Jacinto.

I took more breaks between Palm Springs and Long Valley than the last few trips and so I didn't feel as tired when I got to Long Valley. The hike out to Round Valley was nice, but from there it was a slowwwww but steady slog.

I think I'll now take a little break from the Skyline Trail, but going up it 4 times this spring has really helped me get into shape for my Rainier trip in July. Now, I need to get some training at altitude - I'm going to give Shasta a try over Memorial Day and then concentrate on mountains in the Sierra in June and early July. I have a whole list of Sierra Peaks that I'd like to do if I can find the time.
KathyW

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains